Almost died today--Any captains out there???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give him/her a chance to put together a reply folks.

So... What they said. Seriously, your initial post on the board needs some work. Please answer the above questions and flesh out the info.
Where was your buddy? And if you didn't have one, what were you doing in the water? If you did, let's try this again - Where was your buddy? DId you leave them? Lose them? What?

Also, what was the dive plan? Did you have signal gear? EVERYone should have safety sausage, whistle, ect..

So, without the rest of the information, and if you won't give the dive operator's name and shop name, I call bogus.

I want to know how having to wait 45minutes for pickup caused you to "almost die"?
Seems you were picked up in due course.
Maybe you should look at your own behaviour before you try to malign the boat captain.

Looks to me like a very effective way to scare away new SB members.. :coffee:

Looks to me like a very effective way to scare away new SB members.. :coffee:

What does? Asking the right questions? He didn't "Almost Die"... He waited 45 minutes on the surface because he tanked the dive. Then he blames the captain. Before I start cuddling him and saying, "poor baby," I want more information. As the info stands, it is a ridiculous complaint.

Okay; I'm a n00b, and I freely admit I'm a n00b, and I still had my safety sausage and signalling device on EVERY dive this weekend, even the boat dive where I was allowed to tag along behind two much more experienced divers (including a divemaster).

I hope I never need to use either one for an emergency, but I don't want to ever find myself in the situation of needing them, and finding I left them behind for some reason.

Okay; I'm a n00b, and I freely admit I'm a n00b, and I still had my safety sausage and signalling device on EVERY dive this weekend, even the boat dive where I was allowed to tag along behind two much more experienced divers (including a divemaster).

I hope I never need to use either one for an emergency, but I don't want to ever find myself in the situation of needing them, and finding I left them behind for some reason.

Smart man. You are practicing what you learned in the Risk Management portion of your class. That part of taking reasonable safety measures and preparing for possible problems or emergencies. Taking responsibility for your own safety.
Good job. I wish everyone did.

Oh, and I can give some input, as I also captain our boats. THere are times and situations where I have had to leave my mooring to assist other boats in the area, or other divers who needed assistance. Or in bad surface conditions, like sudden storm or high waves, it may not be possible for me to maintain my initial position, and if the diver ascends very early, it may take awhile for me to get to them. They should have all their safety equipment to help me see and hear them as soon as possible. Yeah, it seems like a long time on the surface to the floating diver, but they must be patient, sometimes.

We need more info to properly analyze this situation. This new diver will benefit from the analysis, but only if we have the whole picture.

Well, we don't know that he didn't have a sausage. Many newbies don't, but I did for my first boat dive - some do.

His buddy should have ascended with him, if he had one - and if he didn't, he should. When buddies descend and ascend together, no matter what, Accidents thread is quiet. Maybe he shouldn't have been in the ocean if he felt uncomfortable...?
WreckDivingFool-a little harsh, but spot on. It sounds like somebody is looking to place blame on someone else. Personally, I'd much rather watch a thunderstorm from underwater than on a boat.
Not me! ALL thunderstorms include lightening, that's what produces the thunder, not to mention increased waves and decreased surface viz. I hear thunder and I say in whatever I am in: boat, house, vehicle. I gotta wonder why this group went in...?

Well, we don't know that he didn't have a sausage. Many newbies don't, but I did for my first boat dive - some do.

His buddy should have ascended with him, if he had one - and if he didn't, he should. When buddies descend and ascend together, no matter what, Accidents thread is quiet. Maybe he shouldn't have been in the ocean if he felt uncomfortable...?

Not me! ALL thunderstorms include lightening, that's what produces the thunder, not to mention increased waves and decreased surface viz. I hear thunder and I say in whatever I am in: boat, house, vehicle. I gotta wonder why this group went in...?

I agree with you Don. But the key here, is that we need more info.
If the OP sticks it out, and answers all of the above questions, we can give proper help and advice. Hopefully, he has already learned to carry emergency gear, if he wasn't already, and that sometimes, the boat may not be where you left it. He needs to practice knowing what to do in those instances.

Also, he needs to know that he has the right to ask questions during the briefings. If they don't give the emergency statements about what to do if the boat is gone upon ascent talk, he should ask. His right to know. Not all boats and dms give all the info they should, so he should not be shy to ask. I always want to know where the first aide kit, Oxygen tank, save-a-dive kit, and life jackets even - are located on a boat. They should tell you. I want to know where their emergency management plan is, and what they do in emergency situations.

Most newbs don't know to ask, or are too raw to ask. It takes time and experience. If he stays around, he will pick it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom