Alpha "Dive" Flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the rules, the only time the "recreational dive flag" (red & white) is mentioned is for divers that are in the water. It is not even mentioned in the COLREGS that I can find. I must admit that inland, I haven't seen a flag that large. But then, most of our boats are under 38 feet also.

You are on the right track, and I wish all boaters would do the same research you're doing. Pages 96-97 of the U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Rules (NAV Rules) address Alpha "A" flag use for vessels "engaged in diving operations." Page 46 of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary America's Boating Course (ABC) also addresses this issue.

Even though the one meter height requirement is somewhat difficult to interpret just by reading the rules, if you dig deeper into the NAV Rules manual, you will find in Annex I on pages 132-133 International and Inland Positioning and Technical Details of Lights and Shapes. Since shapes include flags, the general standard for determining the height requirement is "height above the hull." Height above the hull means the height above the upper-most continuous deck. Refer to the pictures on pages 96-97 to get an idea of what this looks like. On many small to mid-size vessels, the upper-most continuous deck will be equal to, or very close to the height of the gunwales (upper edges of the hull).

To make a long story short, your "A" flag should be one meter above your upper-most continuous deck; the flag itself does not have to measure one meter in height. I have not found any references to the actual size requirements of the "A" flag yet, but it's probably out there somewhere.

The red and white dive flag may be required by state or local law to mark divers' locations, but it is not the international code flag for vessels engaged in diving operations. Additionally, the red and white dive flag must be 12" x 15" according to page 46 of the ABC course manual.

An easy way to separate the meaning of the two flags is to remember the "A" flag is for the vessel, and the dive flag is for the diver. In other words, even if there is no boat involved and divers are doing shore dives, they should display the dive flag to mark their locations.

As a very important side note, all vessels 39.4 ft. and longer are required to have a current copy of the U.S. Coast Guard NAV Rules onboard. It should be kept within easy reach of the vessel operator at all times.

Hope this helps!

I applaud your research and desire to fly the flags properly. I wish those looking at the flags from other boats would research their meaning and abide by those rules. I think you should reconsider diving from a boat where no one is left aboard, when things go bad on a dive they generally go real bad.

Realdiver7, that does help as I have been wondering about this issue as well. So if I understand, the flag must be 1 meter above a bimini top if deployed. Now if only the other boaters would learn what flags mean. I dont get how the diver down flag represents a turn bouy for jet skis.

I understand what is being said. I don't want to be argumentative, but when I read the requirement for Rule 27 (e) (ii) on page 96 (International) and page 97 (Inland):

(ii) a rigid replica of the International Code flag “A” not less than 1 meter in height. Measures shall be taken to ensure its all-round visibility.

The first sentence is speaking to the rigid replica of the flag, including the size of it. The second sentence discusses position of the replica flag.

Additionally, in Annex I as you mentioned, where they talk the technical details of height, they always refer to height above something, never just height. That is, they always specify if it is "measured vertically" above the "hull" or "gunwale" or "sidelights" or something.

I find it disturbing that this is not more clear.

Realdiver7, that does help as I have been wondering about this issue as well. So if I understand, the flag must be 1 meter above a bimini top if deployed. Now if only the other boaters would learn what flags mean. I dont get how the diver down flag represents a turn bouy for jet skis.

I do not believe a bimini top would be considered a "continuous deck," but I don't pretend to be an expert. I wouldn't personally use a bimini top as a base of measure. However, common sense safety would tell us that in order for the flag to be seen all-around, it may indeed need to be higher than the bimini top.

Hey Waterskier,

Just remember, all this discussion and you mentioned you will be on inland lakes. I can assure you 99% of the boaters on the lake will have no clue as to what the apha flag is. Maybe half will know what a dive flag is, when they are not chugging beer or running you down on their jet skis. Be careful!

Hey Waterskier,

Just remember, all this discussion and you mentioned you will be on inland lakes. I can assure you 99% of the boaters on the lake will have no clue as to what the apha flag is. Maybe half will know what a dive flag is, when they are not chugging beer or running you down on their jet skis. Be careful!

Could not agree more. Unless you are in a seaway used by commercial shipping who will know it meaning, 99% of recreational operators will have no clue what it means.

I have submitted the question regarding the size of the "rigid replica of the Alpha flag" to the USCG, Navigation Center.

I thank all of you for your input. :D

I started this thread only to find a place to buy a Alpha flag whose size is over 1 meter in height since all my normal sources and even Google listed only smaller (most much smaller) flags. I plan to do some diving from my boat this summer.

I have taught this rule (and all the other Nav Rules or COLREGS) off and on for over 25 years, never questioning that it referred to the size of the flag. Nor has a single student questioned it. Now, some of you have made me step back and confirm that this is correct.

I am really surprised how many comments I got trying to suggest ways that I would not have to comply with the rule. :confused:

Whether I am at anchor or not, if someone is aboard or not, if I have divers off the boat in the water, Colorado State Law requires the boat meet the Nav Rules requirement for a rigid replica of the Alpha flag not less than 1 meter in height displayed on the boat. The red and white recreational diving flag is required for the divers in the water, whether or not there is a boat involved.

Personally, I do consider my boat restricted in it's ability to maneuver when there are divers in the water below. I suspect that the authors and enforcers of this law do too. Granted there are exceptions, but this Rule and associated Alpha flag just indicates that the boat is restricted (limited), not unable or prohibited, in it's ability to maneuver. That fact that you may need to reset the anchor or pickup a diver does not violate the restricted ability.

When there are divers below, I do not want myself or anyone else motoring around dodging other boats, waterskiiers, jet skis, sail boat or whatever, who may have the right of way if I am not considered restricted in my ability to maneuver. That would mean starting up the engine and engaging the props. That is just dumb IMHO, when you have divers in the water below you. :no You never know when a diver many need to surface, and if it is unplanned, the last thing they need is to be dodging their own boat! :11:

And to risk this just so you don't have to fly the Alpha Flag? :shakehead:

I will post the USCG response when I get it. :lotsalove: That way, those who wish to comply will know the correct interpretation of the Rule.

They said it would be coming within 72 hours. :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom