Alternative Placement of Weight Belt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n733lk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My son, who is just 10yo is a skinny lad. He has issues sometimes with his weight belt wanting to fall right off. We bought the smallest weight belt our LDS had.

Are there any alternative placements for the weight belt? Silly question, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Yes, I know someone is going to suggest a weight integrated BC, but he just loves his current BC and doesn't want me to look at a new one for him.

Thanks!

I have trim pockets on my cam bands (tank straps). My fins are quite negative, so it helps trim me out. I have no weight on a weight belt.

Has he tried tightening the weight belt as he descends or at least once he hits his max depth?
How big is the belt compared with his torso. Is it possible to hitch it up so it's above his hips but still below his rib cage?

You could try going with a rubber weight belt for now.

Have you considered shortening the length of the belt?

If he's skinny, does he actually need a weight belt?

What wetsuit will you be using?

How about a weight harness? I never used one myself, but I know they are popular on the board.
http://www.scubacenter.com/scubacenter_onlinestore/drysuit_accessories/OxyCheq_Renegade_Harness.htm

Also take a look at the DUI Weight & Trim systems. I got my Weight & Trim II for under a hundred from my LDS.

The other possibilities are to move to a depth compensating belt and snug it up tight pre-dive, or weight pockets which would be clipped/attached to your BC. I don't really like that idea in case you need to remove your BC at depth, then you have no weight and will become positively buoyant depending on your exposure protection. You could try a combination of the two, thus relieving some of the weight from the belt and putting some on the BC - either in added pockets to the harness or the tank bands. Keeping in mind you also need proper trim. In the past I've had some weight on a belt, BC pockets, tank band and ankle weights. I trimmed out well and took some weight of my hips but ultimately did not like the weight on the BC.

One of the harnesses is probably you best solution and the DUI's can be picked up used fairly cheap.

Get him a rubber belt, problem solved.

Diving around Houston, the rubber belt would be the most cost effective solution.
The DUI Weight & Trim II is even better, but probably overkill unless you plan on cold water diving.

How much weight does he need to carry on the weight belt? Lots of weight can tend to sag off of a diver's hips.
Does he need to walk around a lot while being geared up? This might occur for certain shore diving sites.

My body type (narrow hips) is such that wearing a heavy weight belt is problematic. A majority of my dives are shore dives. I walk a fair distance to reach the water, and once I'm there I have to deal with a surf entry.

If he wears 10+ lbs. on the weight belt, then I think that something similar to a DUI Weight & Trim (W/T) harness would work well. I have yet to find a BCD that the DUI product doesn't work with. The W/T is donned before the BCD. There yellow handles of the W/T protrude from below the BCD's cummerbund. There is virtually no chance of accidental ditching.

If he wears 10 lbs. or less on the weight belt, the simplest solution would be to get a good quality rubber weight belt with a metal buckle. Scuba.com sells a Trident-branded one for about $22.

You could try going with a rubber weight belt for now.
Get him a rubber belt, problem solved.
I will third that one.
This is the one I use for warm water diving. 65" Rubber Weight Belt with Wire Buckle

Personally I hated the DUI harness. The shoulder straps were always falling off. Then when I started diving off my own boat and we remove our gear in the water, it really became evident they suck as my friend has to restring his weight harness every time.

Back
Top Bottom