Alternative to Jetfins when you fall between XL and XXL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 on the OMS Slipstreams. The XXL is placed nicely between the Sp XL and XXL sizes.

More importantly the OMS Slipstream feels like a Jet fin in the water. It is lighter and stiffer due to the monoprene construction, but it swims the same. In my opinion, Turtles do not feel at all like a Jet fin and in my experience most people who like one don't generally like the other.

+1 for the Hollis F1. My fiance was in the same position as the OP, so I bought him a pair for his birthday. He positively swears by them. I now have a horrible case of fin envy and although I adore my Jets and have no need of another pair (until I go dry, that is), it's hard to resist the ones on display at my LDS.

Out of curiosity, what size F1s did you get him?

I wear size 11 DUI rockboots over my TLS-350 and switched fins from SP XL with 12" springs to SP XXL with 12" spring straps. The XL's are very tight and difficult to put on and take off but they do seem to provide a better fit for transferring movement from my foot to my fin to the kick with minimal loss of effort. The XXLs are much easier to don on and off but do feel like there is some slop and loss of efficiency in transferring intent from foot to fin to stroke.

So here is a summation of alternatives based upon what has been posted here,

1) Turtle fins (size? other differences from SP's?)
2) Hollis F1 (size? other differences from SP's?)
3) OMS Slipstream (size? other differences from SP's?)
4) Modifications to XXL's (what types of mods?, materials?, techniques?)

Certainly appreciate others experience with these various fins as I do love my SP XLs but know there has to be an improved fit than I currently have with my SP XXLs.

1) Turtle fins (size? other differences from SP's?).

I fit a XXXL Turtle fin quite nicely. It's a wider pocket than XL jets, but not as high/wide/deep/cavernous as the XXL jets.

Personally, I find Turtles a fair bit softer than jets.

3) OMS Slipstream (size? other differences from SP's?)

XXL is what a XXL should be - it's halfway between the XL and XXL jets, fit is as good (if not slightly better) than turtles. The fin is lighter than jets, as it's a polymer rather than rubber. A lot stiffer as well.

I wear size 12 trek boot for my drysuit and size 12 henderson wetsuit boot.

Here is what I found.
Super Rocket fit fine. To stiff
XL Jet pocket to small
XXL Jet pocket to big

Slipstream XXL fit perfect for dry and a tad loose for wet

Hollis FI best fit and comfort and includes springs. Spring set on longest for both

I wear size 12 trek boot for my drysuit and size 12 henderson wetsuit boot.

Here is what I found.
Super Rocket fit fine. To stiff
XL Jet pocket to small
XXL Jet pocket to big

Slipstream XXL fit perfect for dry and a tad loose for wet

Hollis FI best fit and comfort and includes springs. Spring set on longest for both

Mitchell - what size the Hollis F1?

Out of curiosity, what size F1s did you get him?

Sorry for the extremely late reply - I bought him an XL pair. He wears size 12 street shoes, and the fins fit both his wetsuit booties as well as his [Andy's] drysuit booties.

XS Scuba "Power Fins". The XL has a wider and taller (higher instep) foot pocket than the Jet fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom