Altitude Diving - Stay at even higher altitude?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexis_tree

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I haven't taken the altitude diving course yet. But we're considering getting a lake Tahoe condo for skiing. It seems like Lake Tahoe is at 6200' elevation. The condo we're looking at is at 7500' elevation. Just wondering if it's a deal breaker to stay at 7500' after diving in Lake Tahoe.

Thanks!

Are you diving with a computer or tables?

My first advice would be to call one of the Lake Tahoe dive operators or a local dive shop. I think that there are at least two operators there. That being said, I have dived at 9600 feet with no problem, although the lake was only 36 feet deep, so it was a very shallow dive.

Depending on your computer, you can set it for the greater altitude (your condo) and then treat the dives at a lower altitude (Lake Tahoe) as excursions that require nothing special. Just follow your computer. But some computers measure your altitude, and will do fine for the diving but may not be happy with your ascending an additional 1300 ft immediately after the dive. Speaking with Lake Tahoe dive operators is a good suggestion; they likely deal with this all the time.
Short answer: yes, you can do it, but not without taking the altitude and altitude changes into account.

Almost all ascent to altitude after diving recommendations say you can safely ascend 2,000 feet after diving. You will only be ascending 1,300 feet.

Additionally, not all ascent distances are created equal. As ascent from 6,200 feet to 7,500 feet is not as serious as an ascent from sea level to 1,300 feet.

FWIW, you also have a built-in buffer if you dive soon after driving down from your house. Your nitrogen levels are lower than someone who is acclimated to the lake elevation.

Your original question was whether this was a deal breaker. IMO, the answer is no, not at all.

Timing also matters. Hang out at a lower elevation for some time before heading up the hill. Relax, have a nice sit down meal, take your time. Don't step out of the water and aim for the mountain.

If you are diving recreationally, you do not need to worry about this, it’s not pertinent at all. There are ample threads on here about completing normoxic (>200 FSW) dives and ascending to elevation soon after without issue. Most recreational divers don’t understand the basics and perpetuate old wives tales.

You don’t need to drag your feet heading home, as you won’t be loading your tissue compartments to the degree that it will matter. Be careful asking the internet for advice…

Better question is what you want to accomplish by diving Tahoe.

I did so 10 years ago in early summer. Took an altitude diving course when I did so. Aside from making sure your computer is set for elevation there isn’t a whole not more to worry about if you’re already staying at an equal altitude or higher. Post diving you won’t need a whole lot of surface time to be safe to go back to the cottage.

Even in early summer the water was quite cold. Looking back at my logbook 57deg on the surface, 52deg at 42 feet. We dove sand harbor twice and all we saw was rocks, a few crayfish, and two large fish out in the distance. Visibility was excellent; 100 ft plus.

For me it was too cold. 7mm suit with hood and gloves and it was uncomfortably cold. This includes hot tea inbetween dives. If there was something awesome to see to put up with the cold, perhaps, but the combo makes future dives in Tahoe a no go for me. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom