Great Lakes Diving Tour in a week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, this is the better "problem" to have, probably! Have you considered taking it to a tailor/dressmaker/seamstress to have it altered for you? Be careful, though: Have it altered to allow room for a thicker polypro underlayer--just in case you should decide that you want to wear one. And don't "cut" in a way that compromises your range of motion (e.g., your ability to reach your valves) when you're dressed in your complete suit).

rx7diver
Getting it tailored is a great ideal but it wouldn't work, it's just too big and floaty.

It all depends on cold tolerance. I have high cold tolerance.

I have a DUI DuoTherm 300. Double layer fleece onesie. Three years old and still going strong. It had a custom option so for once I have undies that really fit well. I wear thin polypro under. Socks are Fourth Element Hot Foot with silk liners under. Fourth Element fleece glove liners under dry gloves. Waterproof 7mm hood. I do have a Thermolution heated vest for when it’s really cold.
Does it keep you warm, for the most part diving the Great Lakes? At what point or temp do you turn on your heater?

Does it keep you warm, for the most part diving the Great Lakes? At what point or temp do you turn on your heater?
I turn it on when I need it. I’m it doing deco dives yet so it would usually get turned on towards the end of a dive.

I turn it on when I need it. I’m it doing deco dives yet so it would usually get turned on towards the end of a dive.
I'm currently looking at a DUI DuoTherm 200 one piece, it's not bulky or floaty. Also looking at getting a heated vest.

How much extra weight do you carry for your undergarment and heated vest?

I'm currently looking at a DUI DuoTherm 200 one piece, it's not bulky or floaty. Also looking at getting a heated vest.

How much extra weight do you carry for your undergarment and heated vest?
You have to understand that the heavy undies are my usual setup. I don’t add any weight for the vest. I do have to add a couple of pounds for my Fourth Element X-Core vest which is very toasty and really helps. FE pushes it as an alternative to heated undies. At maybe $150-$200 (haven’t looked at current pricing), it’s definitely more affordable than a heated vest. I totally forgot to mention the FE vest. I wear it directly over my base layer.

Ok thank you so much and thanks for your patience. I'd figure as I'm getting ready for Munising in a few weeks, I might as well get a complete setup for when I'm going to be diving in July.

Ok thank you so much and thanks for your patience. I'd figure as I'm getting ready for Munising in a few weeks, I might as well get a complete setup for when I'm going to be diving in July.
You are diving Munising in a few weeks?
Please don't tell me you fell victim to Rich.

You are diving Munising in a few weeks?
Please don't tell me you fell victim to Rich.
Actually yes!

Last year I had just earned my dry suit cert and I went to take Ice with only the class dives as my dry suit experience. There were 3 dives, totally bombed the last two dives. I was fine with the overhead environment but my buoyancy was all over the place, then I started breathing hard and fighting to maintain and as a result I didn't pass and rightfully so. Got motivated, dove dry suit like crazy and so now I'm ready for redemption!!!

Actually yes!

Last year I had just earned my dry suit cert and I went to take Ice with only the class dives as my dry suit experience. There were 3 dives, totally bombed the last two dives. I was fine with the overhead environment but my buoyancy was all over the place, then I started breathing hard and fighting to maintain and as a result I didn't pass and rightfully so. Got motivated, dove dry suit like crazy and so now I'm ready for redemption!!!
You poor sucker. 🤦‍♀️

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom