Aluminum vs Steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
I've never seen/heard anyone say that you shouldn't dive deep in a wetsuit...it's just what I've come up with from thinking the problem through. It's more a problem with thick wetsuits that are subject to lots of compression....I wouldn't say that you can't dive deep in a 3mm wetsuit, for example, again, as long as you are diving a balanced rig.

This was covered off in class under the suggestion that one should dive a wetsuit in water above 80 f and drysuit below 80 f which would eliminate the issue of wearing thick wetsuits that could provide an opportunity for deep overweighting.

d33ps1x:
If nitpickers wish to point out exceptions to the rule then feel free to do so.

It still doesn't remove the usefulness of a generalized rule to guide, as Jonnythan likes to say, 99.9% of the diving population in the right direction. To expect a new diver to, rather than follow a simple and generally correct rule learn the details of tank specifications is really a waste of everyones time and fraught with difficulties. I mean look at you. A diver with at least 70 dives or so still has trouble keeping all the facts and figures straight. Generalized rules allow a greater number of people to fit the "diver" mold safely. All organizations do it. The society you live in does it. You have restrictions placed on you that you probably would never attempt to break but they are regardless because it becomes a waste of time to allow for all the exceptions to the rule.

If distinguishing that I comes before E except after C is that important to you both then do feel free to do so until you are blue in the face.

To insinuate that I have turned my brain off because I prefer to follow an easy and generalized rule is a tad judgemental on your part.

Because I prefer to focus on simplicity rather than keep an ongoing list of exceptions does not make me a stupid man, perhaps a simple man, but to each their own.

With respect, D6:

You know why I dive DIR? It's because for every single answer I ever raised, there was a valid answer that was logically thought out.

Never once did someone say "Well, that's just the way we do things," or "this is the rule/guideline we follow - just do it." They sure did that at some of the other places around here when I was learning to dive, but I never got that from a DIR facility or diver. And if someone wants to ask a specific question regarding a specific 'rule,' I think it's valid to give him the courtesy of an answer regarding the reasoning behind it.

DIR isn't about a set of rules... it's about well thought out procedures and teamwork. So pardon me if I don't really see the problem in explaining the rationale behind why something is thought out the way it was.

In fact, that is exactly why I pointed out in post number two that it's not about Steel vs. AL, it's about diving a balanced rig.

d33ps1x:
This was covered off in class under the suggestion that one should dive a wetsuit in water above 80 f and drysuit below 80 f which would eliminate the issue of wearing thick wetsuits that could provide an opportunity for deep overweighting.

Good to know I can think for myself and come up with similar conclusions!

Boogie711:
With respect, D6:

You know why I dive DIR? It's because for every single answer I ever raised, there was a valid answer that was logically thought out.

Never once did someone say "Well, that's just the way we do things," or "this is the rule/guideline we follow - just do it." They sure did that at some of the other places around here when I was learning to dive, but I never got that from a DIR facility or diver. And if someone wants to ask a specific question regarding a specific 'rule,' I think it's valid to give him the courtesy of an answer regarding the reasoning behind it.

DIR isn't about a set of rules... it's about well thought out procedures and teamwork. So pardon me if I don't really see the problem in explaining the rationale behind why something is thought out the way it was.

In fact, that is exactly why I pointed out in post number two that it's not about Steel vs. AL, it's about diving a balanced rig.

Wow. Someone dial 912. :D

Boogie711:

With all respect due B711:

You can play with the symantecs of rule vs proceedure all you'd like.

The general best approach is still wet/no steel and cold/no wet.

This generalization WAS well thought out. I'm sure you could invest more of your junk debunking time and effort and peel away other layers of DIR and you would find exceptions to the rule there as well.

What you would also find, in all cases, is that although the rules unfortunately lose some safe exceptions, by doing so they also effectively eliminate a whole host of unsafe options and still retain a simplicity that is unmatched.

General best practices has a lot to do with DIR in my opinion. Unfortunately it is these general best practices that seem to rub the individual in all of us the wrong way from time to time as they seem to be doing for you now.

This simplicity is evident throughout, from equipment choices, gas mixing, gas choices, etc. That is the reason I choose to dive DIR. In the water I need simple so I can deal with things quickly and effectively while still having FUN. And that is hopefully the reason we all dive in the first place.

So, how would we view the issue of doubles using AL 80s if diving wet? Would this just be a bad idea for the same reason as it would be for steel singles in most situations? I'm thinking if the rule and not the exception here. Once I know the reasoning behind the rules then the exceptions will be easy to identify.

Christian

Al80s wet are/can be fine. As long as you can swim them up. That's the bottom line and applies to any tank, steel or Al.

BTW, Kierkegaard is a pretty rockin' dude.

As long as you are not overweighted and you can swim the rig up from your max depth (following a wing failure) you can dive any tank with any exposure protection - right?

It seems pretty straightforward to me. If you are fat (and need a lot of weight) but strong - I don't see why it wouldn't be DIR to dive a single 130cu with a 3mm (or whatever). When you show up you at class you can be sure the instrucotor is going to want to see you swim it up - but if you can do it, then you should be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom