am i a bad *****

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan Dan the Scuba Man:
Lol, my age doesnt matter.. it's my mind set, maturity, self diciplen, and other charateristics that make a good diver... but yea.. i like diving deeper for wrecks.. i dive shallow for reefs and such... but thats for all of your imput guys =)
Gawd, was I that cocky at 14? :11: Yeah, probly worse.

Factor in life experiences there, too, young fellow. There are really good reasons that Padi limits youngsters to a max of 70 ft even on the one deep dive of Aow.

Dan Dan the Scuba Man:
Lol, my age doesnt matter.. it's my mind set, maturity, self diciplen, and other charateristics that make a good diver... but yea.. i like diving deeper for wrecks.. i dive shallow for reefs and such... but thats for all of your imput guys =)

I disagree. At age 14 your body is still growing and developing. There are still many unanswered questions regarding issues of pressure, nitrogen absorption on developing bone and tissue.

While mind set, psychological & emotional maturity, self discipline all are big parts of being a good diver, they do not take the place of or over-rule the physical concerns. Add to this the unknown variable of each individual and you have a great deal of unknown.

Remember, dive tables are only guidelines. It is not written in stone taht as long as you stay within the tables nothing bad will happen. It only reduces the risk that something bad will happen.

Also factor in diet, hydration, amount of sleep, mental stress or anxiety, amount and type of exercise before and after diving, conditions, etc. and you have all kinds of variables that can affect the outcome of every dive.

Diving is a continual and gradual experience of building upon previously learned (and hopefully mastered) skills. Each person is different mentally and physically. I've seen divers get narc'd at less than 100' (wanted to share air with the fishies, didn't remember it at the surface) and some that show no apparent signs even at 130'+ (they are narc'd to some extent, but not extreme).

This is not a sport that you want to find your limit(s) the hard way.

Dan Dan the Scuba Man:
..snip..

Self-discipline normally includes attention to detail
it's my mindset (or mind-set), maturity, self-discipline, and other characteristics that make a good diver... but yes.. I like diving deeper for wrecks.. I dive shallow for reefs and such... but thanks for all of your input guys =)
:D
Seriously, you may like to look at this very good writeup by DocVikingo..

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=260196&postcount=24

"Possible retardation of bone growth: Long bones, like the humerus and femur, mature from growth plates, the active ends of bones where increases in length occur. The last of the growth plates generally do not cease activity until the late teens or early twenties."

"Patent foramen ovale (PFO): ..snip.. Whatever the exact figures, the research suggests an increased incidence of PFO as age decreases below 20."

"Children are notorious for being exuberant, impulsive and feeling invincible. These are normal childhood traits that typically aren’t mastered until the mid to late teens, or even later. This has obvious implications for the appreciation and avoidance of risk — and the ability to act as a responsible dive buddy."

BarryNL:
Don't do it! Without following the secret AOW procedures your head will explode!
LOL

Every 14 year old is the most mature. Every diver with 4 dives had the best instructor. Yeah, right. The best 4 foot 9 inch center in the world ain't gonna play in the NBA.

Ego is a mysterious and dangerous thing. In general the less you let it affect your decisions the better.

Other than the poisonous electric trigger eels that live at exactly 62 ft you should be fine. Just remember to watch your air more closely the deeper you go.

I placed a 40 ft limit on my children until they were 18 years old. Arbitrary? Of course it was, but I didn't particularly care. I didn't want my children to be the guinea pigs for the dive industry in order for us to learn about nitrogen bubbles getting into growing bone tissues. As Jerry stated, there are a lot of unknowns, I am comfortable with those unknowns, remaining as such. There was a young lady on Diverlink years ago that was sure her osteoperosis was due to deep diving when she was very young.

Not only should you stay above 60 ft, you should limit your diving even more than that. Just my 2 psi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom