Am I being a wimp about these dive plans, or is this how you become a better diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi folks,

Long-time reader, first-time poster. I hope this is the appropriate forum for posting.

I am a new diver. I was certified (OW) right before the pandemic, did 12 dives, fell in love, couldn't wait to go again. Local diving isn't a thing where I live, so once the pandemic happened my dreams of diving again were squashed temporarily.

Well, we're comfortable enough to travel again (of course, buying travelers insurance for everything in case we need to cancel) and are hoping to go out this summer. It's not a dive trip per se, but there is diving at the location and we wanted to do some!

My husband is a bit more experienced than me. He's done ~150 dives, but mostly in high school and college (so it's been a while for him). As we started making travel plans, he identified some dives he wanted to do and asked for my opinion.

One of them is totally fine, and I'm already looking forward to it.

Dive 2 is a wreck dive, but the kind you swim around and look at, not the kind you go into. Only issue - it's at 100'. I am (I believe) certified to 60' with my OW, and have not gone below 52' before.

When he showed me pictures of Dive 3, it looked like an overhead environment to me. I expressed that and he replied that it wasn't a "real" one, because there were openings in the ceiling that led to open water, and that you can see the entrance and exit to the space the whole time you're inside.

I expressed that I was not comfortable with Dives 2 and 3. The one thing they hammered into my head over and over again during my certification was to only dive within your skill and comfort level (of course "never enter an overhead environment until you've been trained" was a big one too). Given that I'm only OW, and have like a dozen dives under my belt, I do not feel that these dives are within my skill *or* comfort level. I'm happy to do three dives total (plus a refresher, which we're both doing), just not those two in particular.

His response is that this is how you become a better diver, and increase your skills and comfort. He himself only has OW, but has done dives of up to 120' and has done some cave dives ("really safe" ones, in his words). He says the classes and certifications are great, but the best way to gain experience is to just go out and do it. He thinks I'm just nervous because it's been a couple of years, and that once I'm done with my refresher dive and Dive 1, I'll want to do Dives 2 and 3 too.

He also mentioned that for both of these dives, the only certification that the shop requires is OW. So part of me is thinking that if the shop thinks these sites are okay for OW folks, then maybe my husband is right and I should give it a try. But I just can't shake how strongly the message of "don't dive beyond your skill" is hammered into my head.

Your thoughts? Happy to hear any opinions.
Hi @twostringsandawheel ,

The operative phrases here is, "I expressed that I was not comfortable with Dives 2 and 3." That should be the primary driver of the conversation IMO. Might a good compromise be going to the wreck but not going inside it? If not, I recommend that you follow the excellent advice of the folks who trained you and make only dives that are within your training and comfort level. That's a rule that is founded on the unfortunate experiences of a lot of people who didn't follow it.

Best regards,
DDM

Hi @twostringsandawheel ,

The operative phrases here is, "I expressed that I was not comfortable with Dives 2 and 3." That should be the primary driver of the conversation IMO. Might a good compromise be going to the wreck but not going inside it? If not, I recommend that you follow the excellent advice of the folks who trained you and make only dives that are within your training and comfort level. That's a rule that is founded on the unfortunate experiences of a lot of people who didn't follow it.

Best regards,
DDM
Thing is, it's easy to get anxious when you're in your head and you're just thinking ahead. Again, my advice is to get to the destination, get your lodging, do a refresher dive with a shop instructor, review those things you learned previously, do 2-3 simple dives to get familiar with any rental gear you have, then make the decision. If you've shaken off the cob webs and started having fun again, and still don't feel ready, don't do it. But even if you do, I would still recommend buddying up with someone who has already dived that site and make sure they understand your experience level.

Thing is, it's easy to get anxious when you're in your head and you're just thinking ahead. Again, my advice is to get to the destination, get your lodging, do a refresher dive with a shop instructor, review those things you learned previously, do 2-3 simple dives to get familiar with any rental gear you have, then make the decision. If you've shaken off the cob webs and started having fun again, and still don't feel ready, don't do it. But even if you do, I would still recommend buddying up with someone who has already dived that site and make sure they understand your experience level.

In the OP’s situation, a 100ft dive is a huge difference compared with her previous max depth of 52ft. Narcosis and gas management are possible issues. And she’s apprehensive about the overhead.

The fact that your husband only has OW and you only have OW and very little experience, plus the fact that you have come on here for advice suggests to me that you are not ready for these deeper dives. I did things like deeper dives, caves and wreck penetration with very little experience but I did them with very competent experienced instructors. I would not have done them with a buddy with just OW.

Hi folks,

Long-time reader, first-time poster. I hope this is the appropriate forum for posting.

I am a new diver. I was certified (OW) right before the pandemic, did 12 dives, fell in love, couldn't wait to go again. Local diving isn't a thing where I live, so once the pandemic happened my dreams of diving again were squashed temporarily.

Well, we're comfortable enough to travel again (of course, buying travelers insurance for everything in case we need to cancel) and are hoping to go out this summer. It's not a dive trip per se, but there is diving at the location and we wanted to do some!

My husband is a bit more experienced than me. He's done ~150 dives, but mostly in high school and college (so it's been a while for him). As we started making travel plans, he identified some dives he wanted to do and asked for my opinion.

One of them is totally fine, and I'm already looking forward to it.

Dive 2 is a wreck dive, but the kind you swim around and look at, not the kind you go into. Only issue - it's at 100'. I am (I believe) certified to 60' with my OW, and have not gone below 52' before.

When he showed me pictures of Dive 3, it looked like an overhead environment to me. I expressed that and he replied that it wasn't a "real" one, because there were openings in the ceiling that led to open water, and that you can see the entrance and exit to the space the whole time you're inside.

I expressed that I was not comfortable with Dives 2 and 3. The one thing they hammered into my head over and over again during my certification was to only dive within your skill and comfort level (of course "never enter an overhead environment until you've been trained" was a big one too). Given that I'm only OW, and have like a dozen dives under my belt, I do not feel that these dives are within my skill *or* comfort level. I'm happy to do three dives total (plus a refresher, which we're both doing), just not those two in particular.

His response is that this is how you become a better diver, and increase your skills and comfort. He himself only has OW, but has done dives of up to 120' and has done some cave dives ("really safe" ones, in his words). He says the classes and certifications are great, but the best way to gain experience is to just go out and do it. He thinks I'm just nervous because it's been a couple of years, and that once I'm done with my refresher dive and Dive 1, I'll want to do Dives 2 and 3 too.

He also mentioned that for both of these dives, the only certification that the shop requires is OW. So part of me is thinking that if the shop thinks these sites are okay for OW folks, then maybe my husband is right and I should give it a try. But I just can't shake how strongly the message of "don't dive beyond your skill" is hammered into my head.

Your thoughts? Happy to hear any opinions.
I'm coming into this thread late (maybe you've already done the trip & I'm sure this has been answered many times).

Your husband sounds like a risk-taker type. Specifically the "safe cave dive" comment tells me his instincts cannot be trusted with what's safe for himself, much less anyone else. I don't mean that as an insult; because I've done some pretty risky things myself, and pain doens't bother me. The only reason I don't anymore, is because of deliberate self-training not to, and avoiding activities I know are risk-tempting.

For example, I would LOVE to own and ride a motorcycle. The only problem is I know me. I would eventually want to push the limits of the motorcycle, and the 0.5% of the time that goes wrong (ex: gravel on the road), is when I'd end up with severe and permanent injuries or death.

Anyway, my assessment is:

Dive 2: Absolutely not, due to depth, and lack of recent dive experience. I have somewhere around 200 dives, and after 6 months of not diving (winter), my first dive is always slow-and-easy and 30ft. Not because of fear, but rather I want to double-check my equipment, skills, etc and be able to handle emergencies or stupid things I might do.

Dive 3: Hell no. Overhead environments of any kind are risky, especially for someone who doesn't dive often. For example, last year there were several times I decided to carefully and slowly try to dive under something like a railing over the course of several days. Almost every time I bumped into the railing. Between refraction, mild lack of awareness of space you take-up with a backmount, and other similar issues, your spatial awareness will be VERY off. If you bump your regulators, BCD, or another piece of equipment into the ceiling hard enough, you risk an equipment failure.

I'm happy to hear you're doing a refresher-course.

... like my broken clavicle, and 6 out of 9 brkn ribs that are now plated with titanium ?
You sound like you're speaking from personal experience, or a close friend.

The injuries that freaks me out the most is a brain injury, eye-injury, or being paralyzed neck/waist down.

(and medical expenses are about as bad as the injuries themselves, even with insurance)

You sound like you're speaking from personal experience, or a close friend.

The injuries that freaks me out the most is a brain injury, eye-injury, or being paralyzed neck/waist down.

(and medical expenses are about as bad as the injuries themselves, even with insurance)
Had a punctured lung and concussion too. Me, myself and I, slow speed, high sided the tire; 2005 Shadow 750T. I did not lose a single sg in of skin; I wore the right gear ; according to the paramedic I heard while they were cutting my hoodie off, under my jkt. 15 days, between two diff hospitals. 3 of those days in intensive care. Bill to patient after all said and done, zero; welcome to Canada.

Had a punctured lung and concussion too. Me, myself and I, slow speed, high sided the tire; 2005 Shadow 750T. I did not lose a single sg in of skin; I wore the right gear ; according to the paramedic I heard while they were cutting my hoodie off, under my jkt. 15 days, between two diff hospitals. 3 of those days in intensive care. Bill to patient after all said and done, zero; welcome to Canada.
I may be joining you on the Island when I retire for the medical alone. My wife's family will just have to cross the border to visit us. (You can imagine me shedding a tear here at the prospect of fewer inlaw visits. :crying::wink::p:D)

And now that I've totally hijacked the thread, for the OP I'd add that I concur: Dives 2 and 3 are not for you. You are apprehensive, one is twice as deep as you've ever done, and the other is in an overhead you're not trained for. Sure there are openings. I'm assuming it's a "sanitized" wreck for tourists? So as safe as could be, but it's still an overhead.

Back
Top Bottom