Am I being gouged, or is lead really THAT expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did the same thing as inventor and sailnaked. I found free lead shot, ( talk to your hunting buddies ) cleaned it up by immersing it, I then used small sample bags that you can tie off, ( not affected by wet / drying ) then secured them tightly with those plastic, one way clamps that won't release. I bought a little scale, 'bout $6.00 and weighted out numerous bags of various weights, labelled them all. I have 4 ( 4 lb bags ) 4 ( 2.5 lb bags ) 4 ( 2 lb bags ) and a bunch of 1 lb bags. 70 dives later, they are still great. By making a few 1 lb bags also, you can sort out your weighting to a "T". I was lucky enough to find free lead shot, I had the geologic sample bags already. I have almost 40 lbs of weights, total cost less than $15.00. It is a cheap alternative if you can find the right sources.

Try on-line. I've found shot and bags that work out to about $1 and small change, per pound.

Craigslist and some patience.
I picked up 22lbs (2x5, 2x4, 2x2) of Sea Pearls soft weights for $25. The exact sizes for the various combinations I use (8, 10, 12, 14, 18, 22) for different wetsuits and fresh vs. salt water.

You could do the DIY route and scavenge for used lead, but you need molds and other equipment. Plus your time (and skin) is worth something, too.

Shouldn't those flat rate USPS boxes make selling lead weights online more feasible? Or do they have something against shipping lead? $4.95 for 50# of lead weights accross the country anyone? Poor USPS delivery guy.

Shouldn't those flat rate USPS boxes make selling lead weights online more feasible? Or do they have something against shipping lead? $4.95 for 50# of lead weights accross the country anyone? Poor USPS delivery guy.

USPS Flat Rate works great for weights. Not all sellers will use the service.

To the OP,

The price you charged was a good deal for quality commercial product like Sea Pearls.

You can go the DIY route of buy from a local caster but accuracy and finish (gear abrasion) may suffer.

Pete

...no seriously go to a reloader shop buy the shot at about 1.50 a pound and then sew some into little pouches using your wifes sewing machine and the bottom of her curtains. (use the bottom so that she never notices).

or worry less, and dive more. :coffee:

Bahahaha and when your wife asks "where did you get those pouches that match my curtains? You can say...umm...*shifty eyes*...umm...Walmart...yes Walmart! :)

Lead here is about £4 per kg (so about $7usd for 2.2lb) so sounds about right. It's not cheap to buy moulded blocks.

Best bet is find an old church and steal it off the roof - its the only use ive ever found for a religious building!

Back
Top Bottom