Am I being gouged, or is lead really THAT expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As references it's interesting to see how they are priced at ScubaToys and Leisure Pro. 2 very different structures.

Pete

...if you think lead is expensive, have you priced titanium weights lately ?

Which reminds me of a story,

when I was exhibiting my dive weights at a DEMA show a woman comes by and picks one up and says "my these are heavy. What are they made of?" "lead" I replied. She says "Why don't you make them out of aluminium? They would be so much lighter!":shakehead:

I just scored at the flea market this morning: 30 lbs of soft weights for $5.00!

Shouldn't those flat rate USPS boxes make selling lead weights online more feasible? Or do they have something against shipping lead? $4.95 for 50# of lead weights accross the country anyone? Poor USPS delivery guy.

I was just at the post office and I remembered this question and I asked the clerk. You can ship lead weights in the flat rate boxes as long as the box does not exceed 75lbs.

I just bought 32 lbs of soft lead in assorted sizes at the local flea market for $7.00

I chuckle when people complain about the price of fills at their shops. "After all, air is free, right."

Go to the Walmart parking lot. Plenty of lead on all the tires there. :D

Here in central FL., you're looking at 3 a pound for hard weights.

That's why ammo is so darned expensive too. lead, and brass are a fortune because of demand from Chinese military demand, and US law enforcement agencies upping their ammo buys.

The Enviors have more to do with it, Canada produces most of it now because, like steel and other mining, we have chased it all away. Add electric cars and battery demand for lead and the transportation cost and you have to keep a good eye out for deals. You could always put some Iron ore in your belt, good luck:wink: Just remember bottled water is more expensive in some places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom