Amazing how much lifesaving meds are overpriced in the US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a problem when people begin to look at what types of employers and jobs will be the most beneficial when it comes to health care, instead of seeking the job or career they really want and are cut out for. This stifles entrepreneurship because people have way more to lose if they have to pay rediculous prices for health insurance. There are only so many police, fire, public service, government jobs available. When 3000 people show up for three open positions that’s not very inspiring.
Public service jobs also don’t produce anything material, they are service jobs instead of production jobs. We also need stuff to get done like building, small business manufacturing, etc.
I’m self employed and have to eek out a living everyday. Nobody hands me a damn thing. I produce, I make products, I make stuff.
It’s the absolute hardest for a guy like me to make it in this country. The system is not set up for a person in my position to thrive.
Think about this, Elon Musk would pay the same money for health insurance as me (actually a little less) because he is younger. But because he is so rich he is exempt from needing insurance because he can easily cover any medical catastrophe that could hit. He is basically self insured.
Every year that I get older my premiums go up a little over $100. As I get older the less energy and more burned out I get to be able to be as productive as I once was and make the same income, so the increasing cost if insurance is compounded.

Don‘t disagree. You just have to be really successful as an entrepeneur. Get a few employees and as a small company, your insurance rates come down significantly.

You’re talking about a small subset of people: self-employed busineess owners with no employees who are not married to spouses who have benefits; Also over the age of 55 and under 65. I’m in your category but it seems that NJ insurance is a lot kinder than California.

I’m not saying that there is no problem: I’m a fan of Universal Health Care but you’re in NO way in the majority here. I fight with insurance companies on a monthly basis over med pricing and Medicare is not going to make that easier.

Given the schism in US politics today, this is unlikely to be resolved in the near or long term.

I fight with insurance companies on a monthly basis over med pricing and Medicare is not going to make that easier
That's my original topic. Are you shopping Canadian providers? Those vary significantly but you can usually find a reputable one with cheap costs on the same overpriced meds from the same overseas factories in countries with different contracts from the US. Only good on your every month scripts
Pres Joe wanted to reform but he's had too many other issues to address.

Universal health care is a bigger issue, but a similar one. More use health care than highways but they're similar in needs and responsiblity to provide.

That's my original topic. Are you shopping Canadian providers? Those vary significantly but you can usually find a reputable one with cheap costs on the same overpriced meds from the same overseas factories in countries with different contracts from the US. Only good on your every month scripts
Pres Joe wanted to reform but he's had too many other issues to address.

Universal health care is a bigger issue, but a similar one. More use health care than highways but they're similar in needs and responsiblity to provide.
We shouldn’t have to find some work around like this to get life saving drugs! We should be autonomous and be able to work within our own borders and not have to shop afar just to get meds. The whole thing is ridiculous and unsustainable IMO.
How bad does all this need to get before there’s a correction?

We shouldn’t have to find some work around like this to get life saving drugs! We should be autonomous and be able to work within our own borders and not have to shop afar just to get meds. The whole thing is ridiculous and unsustainable IMO.
How bad does all this need to get before there’s a correction?
President Joe & I agree, but the patent owners dictate the terms of contracts for each county. It'd be very difficult to change these by law without undermining patent law and pharmaceutical research.

Another irritating thing is how the drug companies will charge hundreds of dollars per pill for medications but if you can't afford it, or you're on Medicare or Medicare, and you jump through the hoops, you can get the drug for $45 a month.

Why not just sell it for that? Even 3x that would be affordable to people with a job.

Medicare, and you jump through the hoops, you can get the drug for $45 a month.
How exactly? I am not familiar with that.

Another irritating thing is how the drug companies will charge hundreds of dollars per pill for medications but if you can't afford it, or you're on Medicare or Medicare, and you jump through the hoops, you can get the drug for $45 a month.

Why not just sell it for that? Even 3x that would be affordable to people with a job.

Do you mean Medicaid? If you’re on Medicare, there aren’t many hoops to jump through.

The entire system is rotten. There was a recent interview between Katie Porter and a pharmacist in congress which was painful to watch.

President Joe & I agree, but the patent owners dictate the terms of contracts for each county. It'd be very difficult to change these by law without undermining patent law and pharmaceutical research.
You guys should try to get this bernie guy into office. It seems that Mericans get screwed over by the insurance companies more than Europeans and Canadians for some reason. Patent law and pharmaceutical research can't be the reason for higher cost as it's also a thing outside the States.

You guys should try to get this bernie guy into office. It seems that Mericans get screwed over by the insurance companies more than Europeans and Canadians for some reason. Patent law and pharmaceutical research can't be the reason for higher cost as it's also a thing outside the States.
They charge what they charge because they can.
I’m all for capitalism, but this is capitalism out of control. Nothing is sacred when it comes to the almighty dollar. All you have to do when you try and analyze why things are the way they are, just follow the money.

They charge what they charge because they can.
I’m all for capitalism, but this is capitalism out of control. Nothing is sacred when it comes to the almighty dollar. All you have to do when you try and analyze why things are the way they are, just follow the money.
Someone explain why we need Pharmacy Benefit Managers. Talk about moneygrubbing leeches that have no right to exist. Our system is broken and will never change as long as lobbyists line the pockets of pols.

Back
Top Bottom