Amazing how much lifesaving meds are overpriced in the US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys should try to get this bernie guy into office. It seems that Mericans get screwed over by the insurance companies more than Europeans and Canadians for some reason. Patent law and pharmaceutical research can't be the reason for higher cost as it's also a thing outside the States.
There is an argument that the reasons drugs are more affordable in other countries is because the US subsidizes the medicines that go to those other countries by charging It's citizens more.

There is an argument that the reasons drugs are more affordable in other countries is because the US subsidizes the medicines that go to those other countries by charging It's citizens more.

Sorta kinda true. The US gov refuses to negotiate drug prices for any of its programs (Medicare and Medicaid being the biggest, there are more) with Big Pharma. All other countries do. Ergo, we pay much more than they do and have to pick up the diff driving up prices in the US.

I don't think that's true. Why would the US subsidize meds in the EU or elsewhere?
Lots of drugs are produced and developed outside of the US.
I don't know anything about this industry, so there is that, but it seems to me that most countries regulated the marked so you can't price gouge. There are many major companies in Europe that make and develop drugs... why would be getting moneys from the States?

If there are politicians that claim you guys have to finance other people's drugs I'd asked them who they are getting their donations from. That guy might be just lining his pockets.

I don't think that's true. Why would the US subsidize meds in the EU or elsewhere?
Because it's not about subsidizing the EU, its about subsidizing the drug companies, which just happens to subsidize the EU and others.

I'm no authority, but I'll offer my thoughts...
Poor management. One side of the aisle is all about big business and has simply let big pharma get away with it. The other side wants to correct this but is fighting too many other battles.
Lots of drugs are produced and developed outside of the US.
Although they are usually created in more advanced countries with more funding and strict rules, they are licensed to be produced in cheaper countries according to standards and agreements dictated by the patent owners.
it seems to me that most countries regulated the marked so you can't price gouge. There are many major companies in Europe that make and develop drugs... why would be getting moneys from the States?
Simply because they can under the current system in need of repair.
If there are politicians that claim you guys have to finance other people's drugs I'd asked them who they are getting their donations from. That guy might be just lining his pockets.
Good idea.

Because it's not about subsidizing the EU, its about subsidizing the drug companies, which just happens to subsidize the EU and others.
Sounds a bit like american superiority complex mixed with some conspiracy theory. So isuline that's made by a Danish company and sold in Danemark is cheaper because Americans subidize that Danish drug manufacturer? Really? Why would any US administration do that or allow that to happen? And you just had the Donald as your president. How does that makes sense?

Has it crossed your mind that you're maybe being effed over by your politicians who get money from the insurance and pharma lobby so they can keep ripping you off? I think no other western country allows pharma companies to do advertisement for prescription drugs... makes you thing, no?

Sounds a bit like american superiority complex mixed with some conspiracy theory. So isuline that's made by a Danish company and sold in Danemark is cheaper because Americans subidize that Danish drug manufacturer?
Again, not directly. If they make insulin expensive, it helps US companies directly. The fact that a Danish company can profit as well is an unintended consequence.

Has it crossed your mind that you're maybe being effed over by your politicians who get money from the insurance and pharma lobby so they can keep ripping you off?
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. It isn't direct subsidizing. Create an environment where prices are high, the government pays those high prices (effective subsidization), and the rest of us have to as well through "insurance" which isn't really insurance.

You are not really subsidising the EU meds. They are still sold at a profit, just a lower one.

A private company is unlikely to sell meds at a loss.

You could argue that you are subsidising research of new meds but that’s not the same thing than subsidising the current meds.

The confusion in this thread is emblematic of the problem. The less people know, the more confused they are and the less they can do about it. Getting rid of PBMs would be a great start to solving this. The problem is that most Americans have no idea what a PBM is.

In the US, we’ve been fed a diet of how horrible socialized medicine is and how Canadians and Brits wait in long lines to die before they see a doctor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom