Amelia Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rekooh

Registered
Reaction score
I just found out my girlfriend's family has a house on Amelia Island in Florida. They don't know it yet but I plan on utilizing it as much as possible. Does anyone know if there are any sites off the coast of Amelia Island worth checking out?

I am going to be there in the Spring and was curious about the diving there also. Should I bring my gear? Anyone familiar with the area?

I grew up there. Nothing close enough to beach dive. The water on the beach is so murky that you can't see your own feet in foot deep water. Probably due to the sediments and silt that come off the St Mary's river just north of the island.

There is a local dive shop off Atlantic Ave, they might know more about offshore locations.

I ended up going to Ginnie Springs. It was about 2 hours away, but worth the drive.

The sole shop on the island is Scuba Station Fernandina Beach Florida (Cathy) and they run local trips thru another shop just north of Amelia mostly in the summer to late fall when conditions are best. The Atlantic Ave shop closed years ago. It's all offshore diving with reef and structure starting as close as 6 miles and reaching as far as 20. Vis averages 20-30 ft and on some days in the summer to more than 70 ft. We have lots of natural bottom along with plenty of artificial reefs.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom