American Airlines Monopoly on Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The United flight to COZ from Denver has been a game changer for us. We used to have to drive 2 hours to Portland then fly through either Houston or Dallas on the red eye. Now I can fly out of my local airport that's 15 minutes from my house where I can park about 50 yards from the front door. Customs and TSA in Denver are an absolute breeze too. I do not miss flying through IAH or DFW one bit.

My experiences with Continental over the years was very different; I really miss them since United devoured them.
The last time I flew Continental, the aircraft broke down and we got stuck overnight in TX. Continental gave all of us passengers vouchers at a hotel that was closed for remodeling.

We went back to the Continental ticket counter, but Continental refused to offer an alternative. After 100 of us argued with Continental for several hours, my wife and I left the airport at 3 a.m. and paid for our own hotel.

I wrote a letter to Continental about this. They apologized and gave me a free round-trip domestic ticket. I used the ticket to fly from the east coast to the west coast.

When I returned to the airport for the return leg, Continental told me that the company was not going to honor the return ticket. I had to buy a last-minute $1,000 ticket on another airline to get back to work on time.

And that was typical of my many interactions with that criminal airline.

It was a merger not an acquisition. No devouring.
It didn’t seem that way to me. United name, United staff, United policies… the only vestige of Continental I could see was the plane tail art.

The last time I flew Continental, the aircraft broke down and we got stuck overnight in TX. Continental gave all of us passengers vouchers at a hotel that was closed for remodeling.

We went back to the Continental ticket counter, but Continental refused to offer an alternative. After 100 of us argued with Continental for several hours, my wife and I left the airport at 3 a.m. and paid for our own hotel.

I wrote a letter to Continental about this. They apologized and gave me a free round-trip domestic ticket. I used the ticket to fly from the east coast to the west coast.

When I returned to the airport for the return leg, Continental told me that the company was not going to honor the return ticket. I had to buy a last-minute $1,000 ticket on another airline to get back to work on time.

And that was typical of my many interactions with that criminal airline.
That was not at all my experience, and living in Austin I flew with them a lot. I think that a lot depends on the local staff you deal with with any airline.

It didn’t seem that way to me. United name, United staff, United policies… the only vestige of Continental I could see was the plane tail art.
You’re right about the name but not the rest. Read Gordon Bethune’s book.

You’re right about the name but not the rest. Read Gordon Bethune’s book.
The Continental staff on Cozumel were replaced when the change happened; we had known a couple of them. Other things changed. Water under the bridge, though. I don’t care enough to read a book about it

Utter nonsense. I knew some of them too and they kept their jobs.

Utter nonsense. I knew some of them too and they kept their jobs.
Not all of them, but as I said it's water through the channel; it was many years ago. I have said all I will about this; I am not letting myself get sucked any farther into this stupid argument.

?? Were they actual employees of the airline or contract employees? Airlines often staff international stations with contract employees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom