American in Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys...
First of all - according to the Governor of Sinai - the number of tourists in Sharm is between 300K - 500K a year.
Second of all - as I wrote already - none of tourists died in the bomb attacks in Sharm nor in Dahab.
Third of all - I was there just right after 9/11 and yes - at that time sharm was empty. But I went there also after the Sharm bombs and the place was as full as before. Full of tourists.

As the latest news are showing the threat is much bigger in London - and yes this is a threat that exists when you are walking on the street or simply take underground - everybody does there - than in Sharm.
Especcialy after sort of the cleansing done by the Egyptian authorities in Sinai - mainly among Beduihns.
Jai Bar - not to mentioned that unfortunately Israel is lately a lot less safe place to go.
As Air One said - the only solution is to stay home. And not even move around it - becasue it may be too dangerous.
Mania

Hey, I am not saying it is OK to stay at home. On the opposite- my passport is already at the embassy for a new visa. I try to visit Sinai at least 2-3 times a year, which I think is more than the average diver.

All I am saying is that the risk exists and denial does not really reduce it. It is one of many numerous factors that I hope everyone takes into account when planning a nice, relaxed vacation. Isn't it?

Whatever you do, don't stay at home. It has been proved that the house is one of the most dangerous places to be :blinking:

Jai Bar:
Considering that most of the tourists in Sinai are concentrated in not so many "cities" and/or resorts, which are the terrorist's aim, a tourist has more chances of beeing a victim in Egypt rather than accidentally beeing murdered while walking in the street in the US.

You're delusional and obviously know nothing about Siani or Egypt.

Jai Bar:
The U.S. is a vast place with a huge population. So the chances of an "innocent" person to get murdered in the U.S. (normalize it to area and/or population?) are not so high.

On the other hand, bomb attacks are targeted to a specific type of people- the same "innocent" tourists who in most cases had a very small chance of getting murdered in the US (or everywhere else, for the matter)...

Considering that most of the tourists in Sinai are concentrated in not so many "cities" and/or resorts, which are the terrorist's aim, a tourist has more chances of beeing a victim in Egypt rather than accidentally beeing murdered while walking in the street in the US.

I am not preaching to stay at home- myself I'll keep visiting Egypt (which is safer than my country anyway :wink: ) - but saying it is more dangerous to live in the US is not allways true. I think in terms of injuring tourists, Egypt may not be the safest place on the planet. To remind you, several (if not most) terror attacks in the last years all over Egypt were aimed at tourists.

I don't think you have a grasp of American culture to make some of the statements you have. That's not to say you are a bad guy or whatever, but you are ignorant to the violence which occurs in the U.S on a daily basis. I don't know if recently you heard about the psychopath who went onto a college campus in the US and killed some 35 people for no reason?? The thing is, this may be a large scale in comparison,, but crap like this occurs everyday...innocent people aren't killed in the Sinai, egypt or even Israel everyday. It doesn't have as much to do with the per capita violence as it does with frequency...I do believe it is an apples to oranges comparison, but my point is that an American is no more safe in the US then they are in the Sinai.

scubafreaky:
I do believe it is an apples to oranges comparison, but my point is that an American is no more safe in the US then they are in the Sinai.
Or any other westerner for that matter. We needn't only think of violence, it's quite enough if we only add traffic accidents into the equation. Egypt is far safer than our big, modern, police regulated, western cities are.

But regardless of what statistic shows, we can either choose to be scared of the unknown or love to live through new experiences. There'll always be enough data to corroborate both principles. Yet, I doubt I'll ever regret my choice in this. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom