American Sign Language

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very interesting thread. I was surprised to read in an earlier post that the difference between ASL and the signs common to other countries isnt all that different; I had thought that these "languages" were indeed quite different. And I have also found the common signs used between divers underwater do indeed vary, depending on where you are........but nothing that a conversation before the dive cant clear up!

austriandiveress:
I had thought that these "languages" were indeed quite different.

They are.

There's no need for quotes, they are indeed languages. They have their own rules of grammar that often differ quite a bit from the spoken language of the country.

I took ASL in high school as my "foreign language" and have had little use for it until we started diving. Signs I thought were long forgotten are now being used again. What's funny is I will remember a sign and start to use it while diving, but remember my husband does not know it. We are looking for an ASL class local in our area so we can expand our underwater vocab.

ASL seems like a good way to communicate underwater. My only concern would be that I'll be doing a bit of cold water diving. How feasible is it to use ASL with thick gloves/mitts?

...If it's not your cup of tea then dont pay for it, dont learn it and make sure your dive buddy knows not to use it....

People need to lighten up and let others do as they please.
So....after you get done telling other people what they should do, you follow that up with a statement about letting others do as they please.....interesting.

FWIW, no one, as far as I can tell, was telling anyone else what to do. They were just expressing their opinion about the topic at hand.

ASL seems like a good way to communicate underwater. My only concern would be that I'll be doing a bit of cold water diving. How feasible is it to use ASL with thick gloves/mitts?

That is a good question. I think for the most part it wouldn't be that effected. Or at least you could modify the signs you and your buddies use.

For me the single biggest limiter is that I have a hard enough time with English. Trying to learn a completely "foriegn" language might fry my brain. Then again I did OK with Swedish. I am very interested in learning but thus far I don't know who I would use it with.

My fiancee learned alot of ASL some years back. We talked that when she gets certified I will be learning ASL so we can more easily communicate UW. Really I need to start now though...slow learner...not nearly as nice as sloe gin

We are looking for an ASL class local in our area so we can expand our underwater vocab.

Check out the adult education classes offered through the public schools. ASL is also often taught through deaf service centers.

Wow I'm shocked to see how many people are knocking the use of ASL underwater. I'm an ASL-English interpreter and my knowledge of ASL has greatly enhanced my enjoyment underwater. I refuse to carry a slate because for me, it's totally useless. Anything I want to say can be said more quickly with my hands, and in great detail.

I don't think people are knocking the use in other people, just using it themselves, to each their own. Personally, I would hate to have someone who could carry out a full conversation with me underwater though! The best dives to me, are those that have the *least* amount of communication as those are the most peaceful and relaxing. And it also means that nothing has gone wrong. :wink:

So I encourage people if they're interested, to try learning to sign. Sure it's not necessary, but it can make your dives that much more enjoyable. I didn't see my husband get bit by a Damselfish in the Great Barrier Reef, since he was behind me. But when he signed what happened I got a good laugh. Something about that moment would have been lost on a slate.

I don't know ASL, but the other day I was bitten by an angry damselfish. I pointed to it, and then made a biting motion with my hand and made my hand attack myself. My buddy got the picture straight away. :) I have not had a situation were I have needed to communicate something and have not been able to improvise an understandable sign. Fair enough if people want standardised signs for a language, that makes sense if they want to have conversations underwater. Personally something has to be really important for me to communicate it underwater though as usually I can't be bothered. I no longer carry a slate for communication purposes for this reason (sometimes I do for navigation marks or dive plan info) as I hate talking underwater.

I don't think people are knocking the use in other people, just using it themselves, to each their own. Personally, I would hate to have someone who could carry out a full conversation with me underwater though! The best dives to me, are those that have the *least* amount of communication as those are the most peaceful and relaxing. And it also means that nothing has gone wrong. :wink:
Amen to that. There is very little communication of a non-emergency nature that can't wait until I'm back on the surface. Then you can tell me all about it. Those few things of a non-emergency nature that I DO need to hear about while under water are so few and far between that a few simple and obvious signals can do the job just fine.

It's kind of like being at the movie theater. You pay a lot of money to be there for a very specific purpose. And what do people do? Sit there and talk through the whole damned movie, as if they are in their living room. What could they POSSIBLY have to say that simply can't wait until the movie is over?? Even when you turn around and tell them to please keep quiet, they just talk and talk and talk - oblivious to how rude they are being. It's only when you tell them, in a rather loud voice, "Hey!! Shut up already!! We're here to watch the movie, not listen to you!!" that they consider shutting up. It's also why we have basically stopped going to the movies.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom