AN AMERICAN man was killed in a shark attack while diving off Rottnest Island, Perth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It makes more sense if he was spearfishing and may have been carrying a dead fish. It's also possible he was an idiot and fired a spear at the shark first.

So how are they going to decide the shark they catch is the guilty one? Did the shark leave tooth prints? Do they have a jury system in Australia?

Collective punishment is against international law.

As long as people have this mistaken idea that their life is worth more than that of another species there will be this type of reaction. Had the shark jumped him as he was going to his car and stole his wallet, then bit him I'd see where a capture to kill order would be appropriate as it should be for carjackers. As it is he was in the shark's back yard, on it's dinner table, or maybe raiding it's fridge and in so doing invaded the shark's home. Just as I would shoot any intruder into mine, the shark took the action that was natural for it. Since they don't have cops down there and they haven't designed a 9mm that allows a fin to pull the trigger, the shark has to use what it has handy.

So how are they going to decide the shark they catch is the guilty one?

The contents of the stomach would probaly contain the remains, including a portion of the prior victim's swim trunks...:wink:

The poor sharks, now they will kill multiple sharks.

Yeah, I hunt on occasion. Definitely changes the rules. On a photo dive, you'll be swimming down the reefies for a pic. Spear fishing, you might find yourself pushing them off. (no talk of the other species, lol)

I noticed the following two comments:

The attack happened about a kilometre off the north of Rottnest in overcast conditions that are often connected with shark attacks.

"This time of the year on these grey, dark days, it seems to be the time that these attacks occur," Mr Barnett said.

I haven't studied shark behaviour, so maybe this is common knowledge, but I didn't realize that spring/grey days were a (more) common factor in shark/human contact.

Presuming it's true, is it just that one geographical area, or in general?

If so, I wonder if it's more seasonal (as in "spring") and that there just happen to be more grey days then, or what sort of other relationship factors there might be.

I noticed the following two comments:

The attack happened about a kilometre off the north of Rottnest in overcast conditions that are often connected with shark attacks.

"This time of the year on these grey, dark days, it seems to be the time that these attacks occur," Mr Barnett said.

I haven't studied shark behaviour, so maybe this is common knowledge, but I didn't realize that spring/grey days were a (more) common factor in shark/human contact.

Presuming it's true, is it just that one geographical area, or in general?

If so, I wonder if it's more seasonal (as in "spring") and that there just happen to be more grey days then, or what sort of other relationship factors there might be.

I don't know if there's any scientific evidence for it, but the last few days we've had anomalous bad weather. It was definitely heading into summer weather before this: dry, hot, clear days, if not a bit windy. In fact the attack that happened at Cottesloe Beach 2 weeks ago happened around 7am on a bright and sunny morning. So I'm really not sure what Barnett's evidence is beyond this single event.

If you scroll down a bit in this article, you can see that attacks have been known to happen year round.

I think that Mr Barnett's comments about sharks attacking more under certain conditions is totally unfounded - just mouthing.

This story says he was spearfishing...

That is what I was expecting to see. Still haven't read an incident yet like this where it was a scuba diver who wasn't spearfishing. Given enough time they'll probably hit a diver on the surface that looks like a seal, swimmer, surfer, etc -- but all the shark attacks i'm aware of have been on spearfishers...

That is what I was expecting to see. Still haven't read an incident yet like this where it was a scuba diver who wasn't spearfishing. Given enough time they'll probably hit a diver on the surface that looks like a seal, swimmer, surfer, etc -- but all the shark attacks i'm aware of have been on spearfishers...
Sperfishermen are the more common victims I'm pretty sure, but there was a swimmer off of California a few years ago, lady in a wet suit who like to swim with seals - perhaps looking like the slowest of the flock. Australia averages one shark attack death a year but this year three, including a swimmer and a bodyboarder.

They have baited hooks out of this shark, but there is also the chance that the bait will attract more sharks to shore.

Worldwide shark attacks run around 60 a year with fewer deaths. US deaths from deer collisions run about 200 a year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom