The risk of a shark attack when diving inshore waters of Western Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What these statistics do not show is the number of attacks relative to the level of exposure in various countries. The US has a population of 314 million in an area of about 9.8 million km2. Australia has a population of 23 million in an area of about 7.6 million km2. I think it would be safe to say that that differences in population and exposure levels would significantly impact the statistics. So the actual rate of fatality for hours of exposure of people in the water would be much lower again in the US than in Australia.

People's perception of the risk is obviously going to be affected by their experiences which will vary depending on where they live.

I can post the descriptions of the massive injuries of people who have been attacked by sharks including being cut in two, losing large portions of their body and in one case it seems eaten whole if you remain unconvinced.

Oh and I'll accept that sharks can be slandered when they can also be convicted for murder.

Statements like the above one prove nothing. The vast majority of the Australian population lives in a very small area. In WA, most of the state's population lives within a short distance of Perth. In SA, the same for Adelaide, in NSW, 80% lives within Sydney and so on. In the USA, lots more people live closer to the sea but a much smaller proportion of the population. In addition, the waters of Australia are far more conducive to water based activities (due to weather and water temperature) than the USA. This all needs to be taken into account when comparing things.

Do we cull crocodiles any more just because they kill a few people every year or two? No. Do we cull dangerous snakes? No. Spiders? No.

I am afraid Foxfish that you are proving the myth of a strong Aussie male is just that, a myth. I am embarrassed that a fellow countryman has views like yours.

The simple solution for you and anyone concerned about shark attacks, do not go in the ocean, especially if you are spearfishing, taking abalones or crayfish.

An article in today's news.

Seventeen tiger sharks caught on drum lines have been killed under Western Australia's controversial new shark policy.
Under the policy, bull, tiger and great white sharks longer than three metres that are caught on drum lines within one kilometre of parts of the WA coast are being shot dead and discarded at sea.

WA Fisheries Minister Ken Baston said early results showed the methods were working well.

"We have caught and destroyed a number of large sharks within one kilometre of selected beaches, at a time of year when our beaches are crowded," he said.

"This catch data proves there are a large number of big sharks near these beaches."

Mr Baston said no other marine species had been caught on the drum lines.

"We believe the hook and bait systems we are using are successfully targeting larger sharks and not other fish species, and I commend the crews who have been diligent in releasing as many caught sharks as possible," he said.

In recent weeks they have destroyed 17 tiger sharks over 3 m in length in areas close to popular beaches. Well done Mr Baston and Fisheries WA. This signals a more sensible and balanced approach from Fisheries WA and the government.

And the Greens response:

Greens MP Lynn MacLaren said the policy was clearly not working because no great whites had been caught and tiger sharks had not been responsible for any deaths in WA since the 1940s.

Data from Shark Attack Files SAS

In Western Australia the number of attacks from tiger sharks is 9 with 5 listed as fatal. The most recent was Werner Schonhofer in 1997 who was wind surfing when he went missing. His mutilated wetsuit and harness were recovered. It was found that he likely died from a fatal attack by a large tiger shark.

A year later, German tourist Werner Schonhofer, 41, vanished while windsurfing off Geraldton in Western Australia. Searchers later recovered his harness and part of his wetsuit, shredded by a shark but again with the zips still in place.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Australia wide I count 53 shark attacks from the Shark Files SAS attributed to tiger sharks. Of those, 20 were fatal attacks.

The likelihood of an attack does seem to vary with location but a 3m or bigger tiger shark swimming within a kilometer of beaches presents a significant risk to the beach going public especially in the numbers that are being caught.

And there are still white pointers lurking around. A 3.5 m shark was spotted off Rotto recently.

---------- Post added February 19th, 2014 at 01:52 AM ----------

Statements like the above one prove nothing. The vast majority of the Australian population lives in a very small area. In WA, most of the state's population lives within a short distance of Perth. In SA, the same for Adelaide, in NSW, 80% lives within Sydney and so on. In the USA, lots more people live closer to the sea but a much smaller proportion of the population. In addition, the waters of Australia are far more conducive to water based activities (due to weather and water temperature) than the USA. This all needs to be taken into account when comparing things.

Do we cull crocodiles any more just because they kill a few people every year or two? No. Do we cull dangerous snakes? No. Spiders? No.

I am afraid Foxfish that you are proving the myth of a strong Aussie male is just that, a myth. I am embarrassed that a fellow countryman has views like yours.

The simple solution for you and anyone concerned about shark attacks, do not go in the ocean, especially if you are spearfishing, taking abalones or crayfish.

Yes we do kill and cull the animals you mentioned if they pose a threat and a lot more for that matter for a number of other reasons. Nothing there to be embarrassed about as far as I'm concerned.

Foxfish, can you tell me who culls crocodiles anymore in Australia? They are protected in the three states/territories where they are found. Snakes? They are protected in all states. Spiders? Not protected, but there is no government organised cull just because a few people die every few years from spider bites.

I think perhaps you just need to not go into the water any more. Then you will be safe (until a car hits you, a bee stings you, a snake bites you, a .....).

I can post the descriptions of the massive injuries of people who have been attacked by sharks including being cut in two, losingI can post the descriptions of the massive injuries of people who have been attacked by sharks including being cut in two, losing large portions of their body and in one case it seems eaten whole if you remain unconvinced. large portions of their body and in one case it seems eaten whole if you remain unconvinced.

Sensationalist propaganda. Yes, you can find grisly looking shark attack photos. I've seen a number of them. Know what else we can find? Examples of people mutilated, torn apart, severed limbs, blood-soaked bodies, etc...from automobile wrecks. I saw a photo of a guy who looked like somebody grabbed him by the lips and turned the skin on his whole face inside out. A big truck ran over a car with a fellow I knew & some others, and smashed it so flat it was hard to believe; I'm told there was quite the mess of human remains in that wreck.

Yet I still get in a car and drive most days, and I still go diving. And don't refer to 'man-eating cars' (or some other sensationalist moniker). I am far & away more likely to be die in a car wreck than by shark attack. I've been in some automotive mishaps (a roll over jeep incident on ice as a boy; slammed into by a car trying to avoid another wreck as a man), yet I've been blessed to be shark attack free so far.

Foxfish, if everyone reacted to every threat so minute as this to the extent you seem determined to advocate, it seems to me we'd live in a highly sanitized micromanaged world and even then in ongoing paranoia, because I don't think we're ever in this life going to bring the risk level down to what you seem to think is acceptable.

Unless you're willing to own that shark attack fatalities bother you far in excess of fatalities from other causes, though the latter are far more common in many instances, and it's some fixation with shark attack that's the key issue, not the true risk to the public.

Richard.

I think he's a shark fisherman.

Guys I will say it again, what we have here is a great example of the vast gulf of differences in fundamental perspectives and values . In very simplistic terms very old traditional thinking, verses a more a modern open to examination perspective. And unfortunately until the ability to objectively step completely away form the particulars of the fray and self reexamine is engaged, no amount of logic is going to be effective in helping to change said belief system. This traditional thinking is founded (recognized as such or not) in the old concepts that underpinned notions like "Manifest Destiny" and "Dominion ( a derivative term for domination) over the earth, the sea and it's creatures" Culturally widely held and ingrained for literally thousands of years.

The old traditional thinking holds that the interests of man are superior to the interests of other animals period. Unfortunately even though those perceived interests sometimes can be very nearsighted and may in the long term prove detrimental. And this notion has now evolved into an honestly held belief that even those interests in reality, merely amount to recreational convenience, that if somehow tied to and couched as "saving human lives" or '"the interest of public safety" they are valid. Unfortunately until that fundamental belief system changes there will in fact continue to be (warranted or not) calls for and actual policies of culling under the guise of "dong something"

The reason I know this is case is the fact that. The actual words we use, do in fact represent the reality of what we really feel down deep inside. LOOK at the particular WORDS , which are much more revelatory than what is being said, if you wish to know the truth.

I think perhaps you just need to not go into the water any more. Then you will be safe (until a car hits you, a bee stings you, a snake bites you, a .....).

So if you went for a trip to the NT and saw a sign that said don't jump into the billabong because of the crocodiles you'd ignore it and go for a swim. I mean, after all, how many people get killed by crocodiles and you're a tough Aussie male right?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? There's a difference between being prudent and being an ass. If a sign said crocs and someone jumped in they deserve to.be eaten. The croc does not deserve to be killed. If you want to not get eaten or have anyone else get eaten you and them stay out of the water. But leave the indiginous residents alone. Allow others to make their own decision as to acceptable risk in swimming with them. It's none of your business.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom