An anti-anti-Cozumel AI rant...

Your opinion on All-Inclusive Resorts

• What the heck is an All-Inclusive Resort?

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Unlimited booze and food? Where do I sign up?

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • I would rather sleep in a tent and eat Spam, so no AI for me.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I'd stay at an AI resort if it really was All Inclusive (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

Votes: 10 25.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from four nights five days in Coz. Stayed at the Caribe Blu - great great small hotel - you can walk to town (about 20 minutes) or do what we did - we rented a little beater vw bug for our stay. it was great! we love to go to different places to eat - La Choza, Especias, Lobster House.. On the flight back the young man next to me complained non-stop about the Allegro and the food. No AI for me.

Just got back this morning from 4 nights at Grand Occidental. For us is was pretty close to perfect. No kids, we don't really drink, I'm a meat and potatoes person. We dove the mornings, read at the pool in the afternoon, and got to bed early. The resort wasn't crowded at all, it was super clean, quiet, the people were very friendly, the food was pretty much as good as we have at home (well except for the pizza). We booked it via hotels.com. I don't know what the going rate would be to go direct, but I think we got it at half price. Also - one afternoon we walked down the beach to the Allegro. The Grand is a much nicer place to stay (IMHO).

My boyfriend loves the AI. Basically, if were not at an AI, he's not happy. And if he's not happy, well, things can be pretty rough. But I am more adventurous & like variety. So I try & find hotels that will make us both happy. Or we stay at a couple different places during our trip.
Food is not a big issue for me. I can usually find something edible at the buffet. But the bar tab can be a killer. (and has been a grab your heart, shocker once or twice)

As far as AI in Coz goes...there is the good, the bad & the ugly. And what is top notch f/ one person could be a horrible dump for someone else. Do your homework. Read reviews, ask questions. Be true to yourself. Keep in mind that most divers don't spend very much time at the resort anyway. And even less time, actually in the hotel room.

Wristshot:
Personally I think it would be a shame to go to Cozumel and not get a true feel for some of the island culture and charm, but that's just me. I stay in a small hotel in town, and I walk every where.

Totally agree with you Wristshot. I love to dive but I also love to enjoy the local culture. We always stay in San Miguel in small motels and find all the hole-in-wall local places to eat. Great food, great atmosphere most of the time. We walk everywhere except to take a taxi to the boat to go diving and our divemaster always takes us back to our motel.

Canucklehead:
It may just be me, but I detect a distinct bias against both resorts on the southern end fo the island and All-Inclusives in the Cozumel forum. I mean, I don't think I've ever seen anyone say "I wouldn't want to stay at a downtown hotel that wasn't AI", but there are many cases where someone jumps in with an anti-AI comment, especially when someone is asking for recommendations on where to stay.

I understand that people have preferences, and many don't care for AI's, for whatever reason. No offence meant to the poster in question (yours just happened to be the one that got me going), but what does location and hotel type have to do with the fact that a hotel (that happens to be an AI) is charging people to use their (private) pier?

Relevant thread: Cozumel
i,ll stay in a coconut hut if the diving and food is great

we just booked a week at Hotel Cozumel. The package price I got was too good to pass up. I figure we'll eat breakfast and lunch at the hotel, maybe a cervesa or two in the afternoon, then into town for a good dinner. We love the local food, and will not pass it up for a cheap buffet dinner. But breakfast should be okay, right?
Dan

I agree with some of the other posts.... my grown up daughter and I rather do a non AI anywhere (not just Coz). We enjoy good ethnic food and interacting with the locals.

After 'sampling' many different AI's I have found that the quality of everything lessens once they have you there and you already paid. Of course we can all go somewhere else to have a drink or eat, but then what was the purpose of paying for all of it upfront?

Just our personal preference...

IndyDan:
we just booked a week at Hotel Cozumel. The package price I got was too good to pass up. I figure we'll eat breakfast and lunch at the hotel, maybe a cervesa or two in the afternoon, then into town for a good dinner. We love the local food, and will not pass it up for a cheap buffet dinner. But breakfast should be okay, right?
Dan
Just came back on the 16th of August from Hotel Cozumel. Food was okay. Lots of fish with heads on them....things I couldn't name (saw my only octopus on the trip on the buffet). But I could always find something to eat. Takes a while to get your omelet cooked for you. It's not waffle house, but I'm not doing the cooking, so that's good. Just be careful to watch your personal belongings. Use the room safe, don't leave you wallet anywhere, and skip the hotel beach towels, use your room towel. Getting a drink by the pool can leave some long lines. Order a lot for a group at one time. It's worth the tip to the bartender! The AI was worth it for me just for the drinks and not having to have any money on me.

Back
Top Bottom