An argument for always having a snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i feel like a retard for even reading three pages of this thread ... who cares? why are all of you even writing about this ... it is NOT an argument to always have a snorkel as originally stated, its just your opinion. and your choice. I respect that, but WHO cares!!!???

i learn from a 5star padi center and they taught me NEVER to have a snorkel as soon as i headed in a tech/cave/wreck direction of diving.

get your nav skills up and swim on your back ... and practice your nav skills while swimming on your back by taking a heading prior to starting your swim and than follow the heading backwards ... and since there are no boats, you have nothing to worry about anyway ....
UGH@!)(&^)&

Talking of the old days, does anyone else remember those snorkels with the curved top, a little basket and a ping-pong ball...

Regards
Peter

Yes! I tried real hard early in this thread to find a picture to post with a witty reply. :eyebrow:

What I would like to know, should I strap a spare snorkel to my pony for redundancy?

What I would like to know, should I strap a spare snorkel to my pony for redundancy?

No. One on either side of the mask.

Attachments

• dorkmik.jpg
    dorkmik.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 64
Wow, that bug thing really got me. I must have tapped on my screen in disbelief (oh no, not ANOTHER computer problem %$#^%!! :)

to tell you the truth i prefer swimming surface on my back hurts my ankles less :D

I beach dive frequently off of Fort Lauderdale. I use a kayak to get to the mooring buoys offshore and use my snorkel until I find an interesting formation to explore. I save on air and enjoy a longer, more productive dive.

During lobster season I use the same method but use my light to spot antennae sticking out of holes and then go to my tank for the hunt. Again, I save on air.

Why would I want to swim on my back where I am unable to see any potential problems underwater? If I use my snorkel, I can see a shark or man-o-war before they become a dangerous situation.

This isn't about bravado. It is simple safety and enjoying the underwater world. If I wanted to look at the sky; I'd have taken up flying instead of diving.

PS...the bug thing should be banned as an extreme annoyance.

PPS in 1966 I had a mask with two built-in snorkels and the ping-pong thingy...I was 5 and I looked like something out of A Bugs Life.

PPS in 1966 I had a mask with two built-in snorkels and the ping-pong thingy...I was 5 and I looked like something out of A Bugs Life.

I had one of them too...LOL

Steve

Most of the times I do dives from the shore, and the snorkel saves my air while getting to the inmersion point. If I run out of air (500psi) I surface and swim back to shore looking to the bottom. Swimming on the back will burn my face.

my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom