Analyzer choices starting to make my brain go numb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFrog01:
<snip> I personally think that I would want to recheck any tank prior to strapping it onto my BCD and diving with it. <snip>
Exactly my thinking...it's my life, after all...and my life is worth $300 and 30 seconds...
All the best, James

mstevens:
Some seem more fiddly to use than others - holding up to a "cracked" valve vs. connecting to an LP hose.

I have neither the skill nor the interest to build one, even from a kit

Here's what I've been considering:

- Analox/Amoxtec O2EII.
Pluses:
Appears rugged, waterproof, etc.
User-replaceable battery and sensor
One-piece unit
Hand-sized and ergonomic
Appears to have some degree of IANTD endorsement
ScubaToys sells them
Minuses:
Must be placed directly onto valve, no LP adapter
Flow rate must be set by user by "cracking" valve

A thought on your minus. There is a LP adapter for these. I just would tell you not to bother. The way the little adapter that you hold up to the tank is designed... You are not setting a flow rate by "cracking" the valve. You're just getting some gas there. There is a tiny little hole in the end, and larger ones around the side. See the problem is if you pressurize the nitrox into a sensor, then the reading will vary. I've tried this at varying flow rates out of the valve, and it really does not make any difference. Still will read the same.

And personally, I want to know what is in the tank before I go to all the effort of hooking up my gear to it. Many times I'm grabbing a tank at a shop, and my gear is down at the dock. So then a small hand held analyzer that doesn't require a reg is more practical.

ScubaFrog01:
I'm considering buying an Analox O2EII Portable Oxygen Analyzer. While I myself can see the importance of such equipment. A dive buddy of mine believes it would be a waste of money getting such type of equipment. His argument is that the LDS shows you the reading of the tank. I personally think that I would want to recheck any tank prior to strapping it onto my BCD and diving with it. What is everyone's take on this? Is it truly worth having your own personal analyzer?

Most of my nitrox diving has been in Cozumel. There isn't really an LDS involved there. The cylinders are on the boat before we are. The operators usually swear there will be an analyzer, but about half the time there isn't or it doesn't work. I've seen enough cylinders that are off by 5 or more percentage points that I won't dive unless I've personally verified the contents of a cylinder I won't dive with it.

scubatoys:
A thought on your minus. There is a LP adapter for these. I just would tell you not to bother. The way the little adapter that you hold up to the tank is designed... You are not setting a flow rate by "cracking" the valve. You're just getting some gas there. There is a tiny little hole in the end, and larger ones around the side. See the problem is if you pressurize the nitrox into a sensor, then the reading will vary. I've tried this at varying flow rates out of the valve, and it really does not make any difference. Still will read the same.

And personally, I want to know what is in the tank before I go to all the effort of hooking up my gear to it. Many times I'm grabbing a tank at a shop, and my gear is down at the dock. So then a small hand held analyzer that doesn't require a reg is more practical.

Thanks for that information. I had no idea an LP adaptor was available for this model. When I'm in Cozumel they tend to slap my gear onto a cylinder before I get a chance to check it. Thus, using the Maxtec Handi the boat typically has available (if anything is) requires taking the reg back off. I also prefer the idea of not having to stand or twist around to check a cylinder while the boat is zipping through the waves.

I know you mentioned that the Maxtec Handi appears to be fragile. They have a new rubber overmold to help protect it from drop breaks. Its well worth the money in my opinion. I have two myself

One thing to consider, no mater what manufacture you ultimately decide to go with is the cost of the replacement sensors.. We suggest you take the time to look. Some cost in the range of 150+/- depending on the Euro. Where the OxyCheq/Teledyne Sensors are in the range of 80 for standard Sensors.

Br,

Dwain

PS: Talk about an old thread. :)

I'm considering buying an Analox O2EII Portable Oxygen Analyzer. While I myself can see the importance of such equipment. A dive buddy of mine believes it would be a waste of money getting such type of equipment. His argument is that the LDS shows you the reading of the tank. I personally think that I would want to recheck any tank prior to strapping it onto my BCD and diving with it. What is everyone's take on this? Is it truly worth having your own personal analyzer?

The point missed here by this posters buddy is that the gases in the cylinder will diffuse over time and the reading of the mix you get will change over time from when the cylinder was filled. Taking the LDS word that you have X% in the cylinder right after they fill it is not a good habit.

I purchased the Analox OEII because it is realativly compact, water resistant and there are no extra adapters dangeling off it that are needed to do a test. One of the shops I get fills at has a Oxychec that the adapter at the face of the unit will not stay on, so they lost my vote.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom