Analyzer: Nitrox vs. CO

Oxygen % Analyzer or Carbon Monoxide Analyzer?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DD, I haven't gotten the paper copy yet - the link was in the email newsletter I got this weekend. By the way, thank you for all the info you provide on this topic. Both a CO monitor and an O2 monitor are on this year's wish list for Santa.

I think ultimately one would want both analyzers given the facts on the ground. Here is a study done Utah I believe whereby air and nitrox samples were taken anonymously from the local fill stations and the oxygen and carbon monoxide (CO) concentrations were determined. Aside from the variations in O2 concentrations there was one sample with 25 ppm of CO which at 130 feet or 5 ATA would certainly make a difference to any older diver with some coronary artery disease.

One should note that the requirement stated for PADI 5 star resorts to test quarterly is no longer the case and the frequency of testing is determined by the local regulations or if none in existence the local fill station owner. This change in PADI air testing policy occurred in 2009. One will notice that in many areas the frequency of air testing has decreased substantially and in some cases ceased altogether.

Rubicon Research Repository: Item 123456789/1424

Now that I have to replace my dry suit thinking about getting a CO analyzer as well is putting me in a dilemma. It seems to me that in scuba diving there is no end in spending money.... So far I have been getting by without the analyzer, I guess I am going to keep it in that way for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom