Analyzing your own nitrox tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a shop owner who blends and sells nitrox, I don't sell mixes that are as much as 1% off the target without the divers consent, and then I don't let them have it until it is analyzed and signed for in our log. The log is a step a lot of shops seem to skip (as well as checking cert cards) and I will not allow our operation to fall into that trap. The boat has left late on numerous occasions because we were analyzing tanks on the dock, and that is OK

My husband and I work together when we are analyzing our tanks -- one will do the Nitrox, the other will check the pressure. I wouldn't trust anyone else. Depending on where we are, sometimes we will analyze our tanks before breakfast and do all 6 at once. I don't like being hurried on the dive boat. I like to take my time and make sure everything is OK.

First of all, no analyzers are going to read exactly the same. Different sensors, different pieces that are assembled with human errors built in.

Secondly, if you don't know how to use a particular analyzer, then ask the owners. Hopefully they'd know how to use their own equipment.

Thirdly, if you feel that strongly about Nitrox analyzing, then get your own analyzer.

And yes, I insist on either doing the analyzing myself or witnessing the tech/shop/crew member does it. And yes, I would take my closest dive buddy's words for a Nitrox tank that he analyzed and vice versa. We dive with each other often enough that we know our own expectations.

You should always analyze your cylinders. Do not accept what's on the label. If you can't get an accurate analysis, then don't dive it! If you are getting cylinders from a shop that fills nitrox then you should also analyze air tanks. Otherwise you do not know for certain that air is what's in that cylinder. Do not trust anyone else with your life. It just isn't worth it.

The only new $100 analyzer out there (or rather close to $100) is the El Cheapo but you will need to spend several hours building it. Can you cut nice holes into the casing and solder the connections? I would avoid used analyzers as you will not save any money. The sensor will be used and need replacing soon after you get it. Better to just get a new one and be done with it.
For the El Cheapo anyone who can use a dremel tool and a soldering pencil should be able to do it in less than an hour. Took me about 45 minutes.

hijack warning:

those of you with the El Cheapo, what is the cost upgrade to the more sensitive pot? Didn't seem to see the cost with that upgrade.....

hijack over, back to your regularly scheduled programming.....

....... upgrade to the more sensitive pot?

No no, less sensitive pot is what you mean, even though that seems illogical...

For the El Cheapo anyone who can use a dremel tool and a soldering pencil should be able to do it in less than an hour. Took me about 45 minutes.

I've never bought one or tried to build one. But I've read a few reviews and everyone else seems to have taken longer. Maybe they didn't have a dremel tool.

I've never bought one or tried to build one. But I've read a few reviews and everyone else seems to have taken longer. Maybe they didn't have a dremel tool.

Yeah, the time consuming part is just cutting the square holes in the plastic case for the rocker switch and the digital window to look good. I have a dremmel, but I found it quicker with your basic drill bit and small file to clean up the edges. The soldering is the least time consuming part. Buy it and give it to your 10 yr old to do....

Back
Top Bottom