And so it begins. Panic in the California dive boat industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In actuality, his job at that point is to raise the alarm. If the alarm is not raised first, the watch could be incapicated and the boat could be engulphed with fire before anyone else would know. Basic Watchstanding 101.

Bob
Yes, exactly. His job is not secure the generator, or stop the leak. His job as rover is to call the other guy for help. In the Navy, the rover is actually a junior watchstation, and is never allowed to operate anything ever. There are no immediate actions for the rover under any circumstances aside from call for help.

As I said, sailors understand this. Civilians don’t get it.

Yes but I would expect him/her to hit the kill switch before leaving to sound the alarm, assuming no radio on a smaller ship.
What if the generator is supplying a critical load? I had a spraying leak on a gage line on a main engine not too long ago. Lube oil everywhere. Spraying and atomizing. Huge fire hazard. I took the time to secure the gage line before calling for help. And the valve broke. The 5 minutes I spent not calling for help was 5 minutes I was by myself at 2 AM not having any help, getting covered with and breathing hot oil.

It just reinforces what I already knew. Always call for help first when you’re the roving watch. Even if you happen to be the chief engineer.

I think one of the biggest issues in this discussion is exactly what @Wookie and @cerich have stated several times, words have very specific meanings in the maritime world, very concrete definitions that aren't up for interpretation. Trying to apply logic to them with a false perspective, while problematic for our discussion, likely won't be in court.

the "all times" means, roving at all times. saying a 'roving watch" is saying the watch will be roving at all times.
you could read it that way. I read it as ,,,,,,,,at all times a roving watch will be assigned. ,,,,, that is different than,,,,,, an always roving watch will be assigned, its a matter in interpretation.

It just reinforces what I already knew. Always call for help first when you’re the roving watch. Even if you happen to be the chief engineer.

It's always the knowledgeable that are at a disadvantage on a simple roving watch. A fireman duce would have just done his job and called the chief.

Bob

Before the cause of the Conception fire has even been determined, the first of probably many more dive boats has instituted new rules. Eric Bowman, owner of the Peace says there will be no charging stations available between 8:00 pm and 6:00 am. Divers with scooters, cameras, or rechargeable lights may have to skip any night dives or the morning dive after a night dive. They will also stop allowing anyone to board the boat the night before.

This may be safer or at least give divers a safer feeling, but I'm concerned that dive boats making similar changes will be losing customers. If that happens, prices will have to go up or boats will stop diving operations. We have already lost several dive boats in Southern California in the past decade. I'd hate to see that trend continue at a faster rate.

MBT...

All...some...or none of your speculations ''may'' come to fruition...

I would think that ''all'' of the operators are conferring among themselves and I'm sure consensus will be reached...

As well...results of the inquest(s)...trial(s)...will likely mandate some changes that everyone will have to follow...

As far as one operator doing something...''different''...or being ''overly pro-active''...which results in that operator losing customers...I don't think that will happen...

Lots of proposed ''changes'' were put forward following the Aviva Barth fatality in Ontario in 2004...nothing changed...nothing was mandated or legislated...''divers'' took it upon themselves to adopt a ''best safe practice procedure''...which most were already following...and Ontario dive parks mandated on their own to adopt the practice of shore divers diving with ''DIVE FLAG SURFACE MARKERS''...this was a totally different set of circumstances...it was only mentioned to point out...that tragedies occur...root causes are identified...corrective measures are suggested...AND NOTHING HAPPENS...

Boaters caring about divers...is like motorists caring about motorcycle riders...

Let's all hope that ''if'' there was something wrong that caused this tragedy...the hole will be closed...and we will all be the better for it...

Best...

W...

What if the generator is supplying a critical load? I had a spraying leak on a gage line on a main engine not too long ago. Lube oil everywhere. Spraying and atomizing. Huge fire hazard. I took the time to secure the gage line before calling for help. And the valve broke. The 5 minutes I spent not calling for help was 5 minutes I was by myself at 2 AM not having any help, getting covered with and breathing hot oil.

Or perhaps while you were climbing two decks to get help, fire broke out and now that critical load generator is on fire along with the rest of the engineering space... nothing is absolute.

Or perhaps while you were climbing two decks to get help, fire broke out and now that critical load generator is on fire along with the rest of the engineering space... nothing is absolute.

I don't know how how long he would last when the automatic fire suppression kicked in. I don't know if its Halon, CO2 or something else, but I do know it would put you out, just like the fire. Engineering is protected, as it is the most dangerous and fire prone area.

Bob

I don't know how how long he would last when the automatic fire suppression kicked in. I don't know if its Halon, CO2 or something else, but I do know it would put you out, just like the fire. Engineering is protected, as it is the most dangerous and fire prone area.

Bob
I assume he would last just as long as the other guy.

As I said, sailors understand this. Civilians don’t get it.
But let's also be clear, especially should this go to trial, they both (Navy sailors vs civilian boat crew) operate under wholly different rules/circumstances. I was involved in a case some years back where the basic thrust of the plaintiff was that dive boats should operate under military type rules (and don't even get me started about "the captain is legally responsible for EVERYTHING that happens on a ship") and that's simply not the case.

Back
Top Bottom