ANDI Advanced Sidemount (Overhead) Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
The ANDI Advanced Sidemount course is designed to develop qualified overhead environment (Full Cave and/or Technical Wreck) level divers in sidemount multi-stage skills and advanced techniques for the passage of very confined restrictions.

More info: ANDI Advanced Sidemount (Overhead) Course

I did this course at diver level early in 2014. It was a real challenge.... especially as most of the training dives were conducted in very confined areas on the Subic Bay wrecks. The training certainly improved my sidemount and penetration skills and added a bunch of tools to the 'toolset' for wreck exploration. It gave me a lot to think about with regards to my approach in passing very tight restrictions; such as head or feet first approach, maintained access to individual/redundant and team gas sources and the performance of other critical emergency, contingency or routine dive skills when limited in mobility, flexibility or in awkward positions (i.e. inverted upside-down or vertical head-down).

aaa-Advanced-Sidemount-Technical-Wreck-9f.jpgaaa-Advanced-Sidemount-Technical-Wreck-9j.jpgaaa-Advanced-Sidemount-Technical-Wreck-9l.jpgAdvanced Sidemount Technical Wreck 1.JPGAdvanced-Sidemount-Technical-Wreck-4.jpgAdvanced-Sidemount-Technical-Wreck-5.jpgAdvanced-Sidemount-Technical-Wreck-9u.jpgAdvanced-Sidemount-Technical-Wreck-9x.jpgAdvanced-Sidemount-Technical-Wreck-9z.jpgAdvanced-Sidemount-Technical-Wreck-9ze.jpgAdvanced-Sidemount-Technical-Wreck-9zh.jpg

Silly question,but what does it take to become an instructor for this course. We frequently hear open water instructors who buy their rig,spend a weekend with a course director,and they are blessed as a sidemount instructor,with no experience. People are quick to buy into sidemount instruction,and in the case of this course it sounds like you are learning how to sidemount,not sidemount configuration,in which case you want instructors who actively dive this way,not weekend wonders. (sorry to be so blunt,not referring to you,but an industry)

To get this rating, I had prerequisite qualifications as ANDI Sidemount Instructor, ANDI Technical Wreck Instructor and ANDI Advanced Sidemount Diver. I had to audit/assist advanced sidemount courses and demonstrate "significant history/experience and current activity" of regularly conducting advanced sidemount dives at this level.

But for me, it wasn't a direct 'qualification course' to get the rating... but rather an extended mentorship over 2 years, that also included a lot of 'fun' diving at that level (multi-stage, deco, small holes sidemount exploration of wrecks). I've also been involved in drafting revisions to the advanced sidemount instructor manual, which should be instituted very soon, hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom