angle adapter loose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
1fspeed

1fspeed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dropped off a reg set for service. It was a set that hadn't been used in a number of years so asked that a full service be performed. On my first dive it began leaking badly from the 110° angle adapter (XS Scuba). It was extremely loose, and just a couple turns from separating completely.

It's my fault for not checking things over closely before putting it back in service, but shouldn't this have been caught during the overhaul?

I blame myself but wonder about going elsewhere for service...

Either way I'm reconsidering the use of the adapter, and will certainly be looking things over more closely before each dive.

It begs the question, how did they check IP and cracking pressure with it like that?

I.e. it suggests that they did not perform basic post-service checks before returning it to you. It would make me wonder if they even did a full service on it.

But, I wouldn't let that put me off from using the angle adapter. They are nice to have, for certain applications.

It begs the question, how did they check IP and cracking pressure with it like that?

I.e. it suggests that they did not perform basic post-service checks before returning it to you. It would make me wonder if they even did a full service on it.

But, I wouldn't let that put me off from using the angle adapter. They are nice to have, for certain applications.
Thanks. That's what I thought, but I've always just taken my gear in and never learned to service it myself. so wondered if was something that's generally not checked as part of a annual service.

I do like the angle adapter...

Consider, as part of every pre-dive check (or at least before the first dive of the day), confirming that all hose connections are tight enough that you can't unscrew them by hand (sometimes referred to as "finger-tight and then a bit" or similar).

Dive shop technicians don't commonly use torque wrenches to ensure all hose connections are tightened precisely; rather, they just tighten by hand finger-tight and then a bit, relying on their experience. Sometimes they may under-tighten. Over-tightening can cause other problems. In their effort to tighten just right, maybe they under-tightened. Probably not a sign that they're incompetent.

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I've always just taken my gear in and never learned to service it myself. so wondered if was something that's generally not checked as part of a annual service.

I do like the angle adapter...

It should have been pressurized after servicing the reg stages and had the IP and cracking pressure checked. If the angle adapter was as loose as you described, it should have been quite obvious that it was leaking, once the regs were pressurized.

rather, they just tighten by hand finger-tight and then a bit, relying on their experience. Sometimes they may under-tighten. Over-tightening can cause other problems. In their effort to tighten just right, maybe they under-tightened.
That's where I went with this; I've had this happen too, and not just for gear coming back from the shop.
I moved a new second stage from one first-stage to another... Checked it, breathed off it, everything looked great.

I "know" how much pressure I put on that nut. It looked solid the night before... "finger tight and a bit more".

When I was packing my kit up after two dives at the local quarry to test things out... that nut was loose. I was a few twists away from it coming off mid dive. I've added the "Check joints/nuts" to my pre-flight checklist now.

I also added checking BC dump valves at the beginning of a series of dives a couple of years ago. On the last dive on a liveaboard trip, I reached back to my butt dump and it came off in my hand. I was close to the surface and it ended up making no difference. I tucked it into a pocket and reinstalled it after the dive.

Now, before a trip or a series of dives, I check all my hose connections, regs, SPG. inflator, and my BC dump valves. I have tightened some of them a little, a number of times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom