Another Accommodation Thread…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kixy1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I apologize in advance, but after searching around, I don’t have quite the answers I’m looking for. Besides, who’s kidding who here, it’s been a couple of days since you’ve all had the pleasure of discussing this again.

(I’m giving it 6 posts before it turns into a where to eat and who to dive with thread)
:wink:

I’m still narrowing down the hotel for our March trip. Everyone is adamant about being on the ‘beach’, and by beach they mean sand. Throws out my vote for Blue Angel, but whatever (as I stomp my foot and pout)…

I’d love to stay at Playa Azul, but we don’t golf so the cost is too high. Does anyone have thoughts about Coral Princess? They have a great deal right now, wondering if there is a reason why?

Also need info about the ‘beach’ at Hotel Coz? I plan on heading the clan down to the beach clubs, but they want to be able to head out to a beach from the room, especially on the days they’ll be waiting for my son and I to return from diving.

There are some sweet deals down at Reef Residencias condos, but they’re SO darn far from town…. I really want to be closer in.

My photo tours should help re Hotel Coz & places SOUTH of there. Never stayed on the north end. Specific albums for Hotel Coz, Park Royal, Allegro, Grand & Iberostar plus a look at the beach at the Aura & I hear it's the same right up to the north side of the Reef / Sabor or whatever name now used. There are also links to some of my trip reports in the captions.

Picasa Web Albums - Larry

I suggest Aldora (aldora.com)

Coral Princess does not have a beach.

On the north end, your best bets are El Cozumeleno and Melia. Melia can have murky water.

Other than those, see the post by cicopo.

This may also help:

Cozumel Hotel Beaches

Coral Princess is very nice I have stayed there and as Ron said no beach except a man made area. You are going through the exact same debate my wife and I always do. Hotel Coz is very convenient for diving like BA is, but it does have a man made beach area as well. You are very limited unless you stay way south of town, or pay for Playa Azul which is awesome.

Hotel Coz beach is small but nice but the pool is the biggest on the island(so I have been told). Whats really nice is if your group wants, they can wallk to town while you are diving, or use the hotels bicycles to tour.

Thanks Mike. I do need to add a disclaimer. I just noticed that some names and websites are old. I need to update it although the essence of most places should be close. Obviously some pictures can be off a bit but I doubt that Coral Princess now has a real beach. A few years ago Larry made an assessment of the southern hotel beaches. So during a surface interval I walked down from Mr Sanchos and made my own assessment (memory for Iberostar). We both came to basically the same conclusion. Perhaps he rated the Grand better than Allegro and I rated Allegro better than the Grand...but they are so close it really becomes a subjective evaluation.

Southern hotels beach evaluation - Cozumel Forum - TripAdvisor

Hotel Coz beach is small but nice but the pool is the biggest on the island.

Unfortunately, the pools are still pretty chilly in March, we usually don't get much use of them. Much more likely to get in the ocean to swim, even if it's a bit chilly you don't notice when you're snorkeling around with the fish! :)

---------- Post Merged at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:00 AM ----------

I suggest Aldora (aldora.com)

Coral Princess does not have a beach.

I realize no real beach, but the faux beach should be ok... I also hear the pool here is heated?! Does anyone know if this is true?

The beach area at Aldora looks nice! Not sure it's an option as only two of us are divers and we won't be diving every day.

Thanks for the great links too!

Coral Princess doesn't have a beach but it DOES have excellent snorkeling.... you won't get that at a southern beach. Plaza Azul has both, a small sand beach and iron shore off to the side with excellent snorkeling going towards the ruins of Sol Cabanas and the other way towards the Coz Caribe/Buccanos. One can walk quite a ways north from PA on the beach. Both have pools. Coral Princess rooms have chintzy balconies unless you opt for the 1 bedroom with kitchen units ($$) They have nice balconies with chairs and table. Chintzy as in tiny - you can hardly fit 1 chair out there sideways - works better to stand (WT...???). My hubby and I are big balcony sitters so I notice this kind of stuff. Hotel B, almost next door, (the former Fontan) has great ones....every room an ocean view. No beach, but same great snorkeling as CP.

Also because CP is a big tall place (mucho rooms) there can be quite a competition for shaded places to sit/lounge by the water in the high season. On the plus side the CP rooms are nice and comfortable, the staff is great, the drinks & food are decent and the on-site dive shop, Pepe Scuba is a very good op. Also take into consideration the probable car rental or taxi costs if you go south and up north. Hotel Cozumel is walkable - close to town. Let us know what you decide and how it goes...
:blinking:

Back
Top Bottom