Another camera ocean voyage story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I keep mine secured to my wrist until I am ready to hand-off to the skipper, but I know they get lost. Some sink, some float way. This one took its time getting to Louisiana, but the battery still charged...

Camera survives three-year, 700-mile underwater odyssey - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana
LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) - A local woman found a digital camera on a beach near Johnson Bayou last month.
The camera, housed in a water-proof case, was covered in sand but still worked.
Even more surprising than the find is the story of where it came from and how it made its way to Southwest Louisiana.
Roxane Mart said she was riding ATVs with friends when she came across the camera.
"I picked it up and threw it up on the 4-wheeler," Mart said. "My friend Wendy hit the on button, and it came on, which kind of surprised us. The battery life was about three-quarters full."
When she got home, Mart popped the memory card into a computer. There were over 900 photos, most of which were from a 2011 diving expedition near Cozumel, Mexico.
"There were beautiful pictures," she said.
One photo in particular stood out. It was a shot of a passport, and Mart hoped it would lead her to the camera's owner.
With the help of U.S. Border Patrol, Mart identified the man in the passport as Pascal Levai.
"It was on my mind since I picked the camera up, and I wouldn't stop until I found him," she said.
Mart then took to social media to connect with Levai, a deep-sea diver from Cozumel.
"I didn't want to give the piece of equipment to the wrong person, so I sent him a picture (from) the camera," she said. "He said 'OMG, that's my sister's kids; you have my camera.'"
Levai said he lost the camera three years ago during a dive.
Mart said she plans on returning the camera and Levai has offered to take her diving if she ever finds herself in Cozumel.
"He said it's never too late, so we'll see," she said. "Maybe one day."
For now, Mart said the satisfaction of doing the right thing is enough for her.
"I could keep it, but why," she said. "It's for the guy, and it'll bring back a lot of memories for him."
"It is amazing Roxane took the time to find me," Levai said. "I'm happy there are still honest people out there."

Not for Louisiana. They're still trying to get over the BP Oil spill. Spare Louisiana and pray for sharks.

Oh, I a-gonna leave a stain. Or I can be bought off to change course with a sazerac...

"The battery life was about three-quarters full"

After three years, really?

"The battery life was about three-quarters full"

After three years, really?

If the camera was off and there was no parasitic drain...why not?

If the camera was off and there was no parasitic drain...why not?
Never been my experience, not with alkalines or rechargeables.

But I guess this is a special camera.

Great... So I get lost on a dive, three years later what's left is gonna wash up in Louisiana? Lovely.

Hey.....could be worse places to wash up,....@--------------------:)

ok, so mistake one.. over 900 pics on the memory card - who think someone lost a week worth of pics when they lost the camera?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom