Another Light Question...Use on Blue Water Trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
Using a light on night dives is a given....but how many of you take your primary light down with you on day dives in blue water trips?

My thinking is to have "a" light with me to help bring out the color at depth.

Any other thoughts/contributions?

On deep dives here in New England (80+) I always bring my primary because the vis is only 10-15 feet on most days during the summer -- it stays pretty dim down there even during the day.....also nice to get a better read on the colors. If I was diving in a an area with 100 foot vis.....I think I would only bring the back-up.

Assuming that by Blue Water, you mean nice gin-clear viz, then you don't NEED a torch. However, those who don't take a torch are missing out out some of the amazingly colourful sights that only a torch can bring out at depth. Torches are superb to take a good look in cracks, holes and under overhangs. I think taking a solid primary is probably overkill, but I always take a good small back up light.

I always carry a backup light in my BC no matter timing, visibility or kind of dive.
Last week I was diving in Azores and despite the good visibility, the light was useful to look into rock holes where big groupers and other fish usually are hidden.

Sue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom