Another newbie's 1st BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stakanak

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, I know you pro's get this question all the time but...what BC should I get? It's my first one and I know I will be traveling with it. I know I want a back inflated, fairly light, quality piece of equipment, but one which will work in the cold winter months in California.
The three I seem to like the most are the Aeries 5 Oceans, The Seaquest Balance, and the Scuba Pro Nighthawk, but this is strictly off of the info posted online.
As I will mostly dive in Southern California, I will be using a 7mm, hood, gloves, and booties. At my weight I need 26lbs to get down, and all three have 20lbs ditch able with 10lbs back pockets. Help!
Stay Wet!

Whatever you can do, or dream you can,
begin it. Boldness has power, genius and magic in it.
Begin it now."
--- Goethe

Ok, I know you pro's get this question all the time but...what BC should I get? It's my first one and I know I will be traveling with it. I know I want a back inflated, fairly light, quality piece of equipment, but one which will work in the cold winter months in California.
The three I seem to like the most are the Aeries 5 Oceans, The Seaquest Balance, and the Scuba Pro Nighthawk, but this is strictly off of the info posted online.
As I will mostly dive in Southern California, I will be using a 7mm, hood, gloves, and booties. At my weight I need 26lbs to get down, and all three have 20lbs ditch able with 10lbs back pockets. Help!
Stay Wet!

Begin it now."
--- Goethe

I don't know any details, but 36# seems like a considerable amount of weight to be carrying. I'm guessing as you gain more experience & your comfort level improves, you may actually be able to eventually get rid of some of that weight. A lot of beginners will subconsciously hold air in their lungs when first submerging & sometimes throughout the dive. I know the Balance is capable of carrying 30# itself & not sure of the others (guessing they would be about the same). You may look at a SP Super Hawk or even look at a Back Plate with a Wing of the appropriate size to carry that much weight.

All of the equipment you listed will do fine based on your requirements. At the end of the day it is down to what you like, and what budget you have. I personally like the KnightHawk, great BC, durable, and as close as you will get to a backplate/wing setup. Expect loads of comments after this statement....... Can also be used with doubles and have great lift capabilities. I think it one of the best and can be used for a wide range of diving applications. I would also recommend test diving one or two just to be 100% happy with where you are going to spend your $$$ .

Good luck and enjoy your diving.

Last edited:
I would throw Zeagle into the mix. One of the light to mid range BCs would do nicely and they have lot of adjustment. I dive a Scout, one of the lighter Zeagles. I have used it with drysuits and with skins while on travel and it's fairly inexpensive to boot.

I had a Zeagle Stiletto, and sold it. Just my opinion, but I like the Knighthawk better. Seems to be more durable but most importantly fit me better. Can you get to a local shop and try a few on? You can always sell one and buy another if you want a change. It will come down to personal preference of course.

Stay Wet!

Begin it now."
--- Goethe

Do yourself a favor, just get a BP/W in the long run , you will end up getting one. Save yourself time and aggrevation. I did it, and 3 BC later here i am with BP/W love it.

i love my bare blackwing bcd, all i use it for is cold water, even with a 7mm wetsuit, and i am 190lbs i only wear 22lbs weight, it has it has back removable tank ballast wieghts, so you never have to feel like you are falling foreward at the surface, i think 36lbs weight for you seems quite a bit as well...

I would also look at the Zeagle BC. I just got a Zeagle stiletto. It has 24# ditchable weights in the front and 20# on the tank. It has a 35# bladder.
The Ranger is a little bigger with a 44# bladder and 30# ditchable weight in the front and 20# in the back. It looks a bit bulkier for travel.
The Scout is a little smaller with a 24# bladder and only rear weights.
They are all back inflate.

I personally don't like the Scout. If you're going to buy a Zeagle, go all the way. It's like walking into a Ferrari dealership and asking for a Ford Fiesta. I liked the old Escape's that had the ripcord weight system. Now they come with pullout weights instead (boo). So to that end I would start at a Stiletto and work my way up. If cost is the issue, then hold off. Don't get so wrapped in just getting the gear that you buy something you're just going to replace in a year. Been there, done that. Don't waste your time with a stab-jacket.

I dive a Ranger LTD. Expensive, even with the deal I got on it, but was well worth the investment. The Stiletto's are nice too and can be got at a reasonable price. And of course the Ranger sits in between the two.

In terms of sizing - all of Zeagle's BCs are modular and the fit is 100% customizable. I'm a small guy and wear a small waist with medium shoulders. I dive with guys that range from my size all the way to friggin huge and fit has never been an issue (they all dive Zeagles). Anyone that says it is didn't invest the time to get the right fit.

And in terms of durability - that is the first and only time I've ever heard/seen/read the durability of a Zeagle come into question. That's what they are KNOWN for.

Whatever you do, don't by used.

I also dive a Ranger LTD. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but , in my opinion, it's not for travel. Great for local diving, durable, etc etc, just bulky for travel. I don't know other BCDs, so no suggestions, just don't think the Ranger is for you and travel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom