Another Oceanlog 2.0.2 Question (SAC Rate)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, makes sense. So for those dives I'll keep the working pressure as 3000, the cylindar size as 80, and in the future I'll be sure to note that info from the tank on each dive.

Upon further examination I realized that the data I had was corrupted; somehow in opening my old log in the new version of Oceanlog info got messed up, so I started over and downloaded all the data from the computer into Oceanlog 2, and now my SAC rates are all ~0.55...

Can anyone provide a frame of reference? Is that good or bad or average?

jtf

Put your cylinder size in as 77.4. If ya don't, the calculation will overstate your gas usage.

That's a pretty good SAC rate! Especially being so new.

Sounds as if you're pretty comfortable in the water.

the K

So is the consensus that the new version of oceanlog is pretty good?

Dave

Let's just say that it has potential if Oceanic will get rest of the bugs out and do a proper beta test before they release the next version.

the K

I tend to not worry about the working pressure and just use
80 cft, and 3000 psi, because depending on conditions there can be more calculation error introduced by the change in
temperature of the tank (air in the tank).

--- bill

So do I need to be concerned that one of my VT Pro-recorded dives has my starting pressure listed as 3120? I understand what Kraken was getting at when he talked about an over fill, but how much extra psi can a 80cf tank actually take?

I guess I'm asking whether seeing the number 3120 means that there might be a problem with the computer/wireless transmitter, and that it's misreporting my tank's pressure.

jtf

It could be that your tank was sitting in the sun and the heat caused the internal pressure to rise. It could be that you got a very good fill. Or a combination of both.

I wouldn't be concerned about it.

the K

The Kraken:
It could be that your tank was sitting in the sun and the heat caused the internal pressure to rise. It could be that you got a very good fill. Or a combination of both.
I wouldn't be concerned about it.
the K
Just to give you an example, a tank that was filled and gauged to its working pressure of 3000 psi at 70 degrees F in the dive shop, left sitting in the sun on the dock in Florida in the summertime can easily reach 120 degrees F, where its gauge pressure will be nearly 3300 psi.
This is just one example where the dive computer's calculations can be "mistaken" - skewed by factors present in reality that the computer has no way of including in its logic (yet). That's why it's a good idea to run your own SAC calculations where you can take tank temperature and its effect on pressure into account.
Rick

Good point, Uncle Ricky.

By the way, have your placed your order for your "Vortoberfest II" t-shirts yet????

the K-factor

The Kraken:
Good point, Uncle Ricky.

By the way, have your placed your order for your "Vortoberfest II" t-shirts yet????

the K-factor
Aye.... indeed...
Rick :)

Back
Top Bottom