Another Oceanlog 2.0.2 Question (SAC Rate)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, I still can't understand how Oceanic could release this software version with such glaring errors.

Even a cursory examination reveals that some things are still FUBAR.

the K

JudeT-F:
So do I need to be concerned that one of my VT Pro-recorded dives has my starting pressure listed as 3120? I understand what Kraken was getting at when he talked about an over fill, but how much extra psi can a 80cf tank actually take?

I guess I'm asking whether seeing the number 3120 means that there might be a problem with the computer/wireless transmitter, and that it's misreporting my tank's pressure.

jtf
You probably just had a tank that had a slight overfill. 2800--3200 range is pretty common for nominal 3000psi AL80 tanks. The air in the tank is heated up as it fills, and lots of fill stations are set to fill the tanks to 3100 or a smidgen higher so that when they cool back down they will be right near 3000. If the tank is left hooked up to the fill station and cools, then it will stay at that 3100 range.

OTOH, if the fill pressure is set right to 3000 and the tank is quickly filled and then disconnected, a slightly short fill of 2800 can happen.

The pressure variation with temp is about 5 psi per degree F.

The Kraken:
You know, I still can't understand how Oceanic could release this software version with such glaring errors.

Even a cursory examination reveals that some things are still FUBAR.

the K

I think the big rush was to get PC s/w support for their new
VT-3 product.
Given a choice betweeen no PC s/w for the VT-3 or rush out another
release which has a few bug fixes but still has some errors,
I think Oceanic probably made the correct difficult decision.

--- bill

Personally, from a marketing standpoint, I'd prefer to satisfy the numerous dissatisfied customers that I had before possibly creating more.

the K

There is obviously room for improvement here - the good news is that we're up for the challenge. As for beta testers, I agree - and by default you're all invited to participate. I'll continue to gather comments from this thread, work them into the next release and let you all know when you can download the patch.

Thanks as always for voicing your thoughts and giving us an opportunity to make it right.

Doug

ScubaMarc:
Check out this thread. I created a spreadsheet that gives charts for the oceanlog dive data.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=151223

If you tell me I have the complete set of data to figure out the sac rate and you give me the formula, I will add it the this spreadsheet.

Very Cool Spread Sheet.
Here is how to calculate the SAC rate in terms of volume:
(I used the MS access object names)

(SPSI - EPSI) * (CYLINDERSIZE/WORKINGPSI) / BTIME / (( AVGDEPTH/33)+1)

The big problem is that Aeris/Oceanic has many versions
of s/w out there and only the latest Oceanic version allows filling
in the WORKINGPSI.
In order to get some useful graphs, you probably should
use 3000 if the WORKINGPSI is zero. This will at least
get some fairly accurate results for the older data sets.

See this page to test out your calculations and read more
about how to calculate these:
SAC calculator

The value AIRCONSUMP was supposed to be a SAC rate.
On the older s/w it was supposed to be in PSI/MIN (presure)
rather than Cubic ft (volume). However, the calculation
was broken and the value is garbage.
On the newest Oceanic release, it contains the SAC rate
in cubic feet/min which is what the above calculation does.

So.... If you wanted to fix peoples SAC rates in their log file
AIRCONSUMP values you would want to store the volume SAC
rate calculated above in the newer Oceanic log files.
For the older files you would leave off the volume conversion
and leave it as a pressure calculation:
(SPSI - EPSI) / BTIME / (( AVGDEPTH/33)+1)

--- bill

If you re-download the spreadsheet, I added the SAC rate for the current dive. Later this week I will add a chart for the calc amount for all dives.

Back
Top Bottom