Another shark bite. Looks like on ShearWater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wookie

Proud to be a Chaos Muppet
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞

Editor's Note: Click on images to download high-resolution version.
MIAMI —The Coast Guard rescued a 51-year-old man, Monday, after he was bitten by a shark while fishing aboard a vessel near Bimini, Bahamas.​
A Coast Guard Air Station Miami MH-65 Dolphin helicopter and crew arrived on scene, hoisted the man and transferred him to awaiting emergency medical technicians at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami reportedly in stable condition. An Air Station Miami HC-144 airplane and crew assisted with communications efforts with the Dolphin aircrew.
The motor vessel Shear Water crew contacted Coast Guard Sector Miami watchstanders at approximately 12:50 p.m., reporting a man aboard who had been bitten by a shark while fishing and that a tourniquet had been placed on the man’s arm to prevent further blood loss.
Sector Miami watchstanders, Coast Guard District Seven watchstanders and a District Seven duty flight surgeon conducted a conference call, recommended a medical evacuation and directed the launch of an Air Station Miami MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew and an Air Station Miami HC-144 airplane crew to the scene.
“This was the best possible outcome to a truly terrifying situation,” said Sean Connett, command duty officer at Coast Guard District Seven. “This individual was fortunate a fellow crew member was able to render aid prior to the Coast Guard's arrival which, allowed for a quick extraction from the vessel.”
For more breaking news follow us on Twitter and Facebook.​
-USCG-​

Yikes! But with so many photogs & gopro's on those trips,,,,,,I'll bet someone has some footage. Glad the diver made it out.

Good video of the diver airlift, click the play arrow, .... near the end does anyone recognize him??

The guy was diving? Fishing? Spearfishing?
The article says he was "fishing aboard a vessel near Bimini, Bahamas."

Edit: The USCG article was wrong.

The Shearwater was on a Tiger Beach/Bimini shark trip when the event took place. I don't think we know specifically what happened. Perhaps we will.

1645548979706.png

The article says he was "fishing aboard a vessel near Bimini, Bahamas." Not a diving accident. We dive in those waters, but he wasn't. I have to wonder how he got himself bit while on a boat, maybe he had the shark hooked and stuck his hand inside the mouth, but not a diving accident.
If you were in the dive business, you’d know that Jim Abernathy doesn’t run fishing charters.

Jimmy invented tiger shark diving at Tiger Beach.

If you were in the dive business, you’d know that Jim Abernathy doesn’t run fishing charters.

Jimmy invented tiger shark diving at Tiger Beach.
No, I wouldn't know about the boat or business. The Coast Guard FB page posted the same article, but is getting grief claiming it was a diver, not a fisherman.

The article says he was "fishing aboard a vessel near Bimini, Bahamas." Not a diving accident. We dive in those waters, but he wasn't. I have to wonder how he got himself bit while on a boat, maybe he had the shark hooked and stuck his hand inside the mouth, but not a diving accident.

I wouldn't trust to article to have the facts correct as to the incident.
Exactly. Video of the airlift shows lots of tanks on board, I didn't see any fishing rods on board though those could be harder to miss. All those tanks along the gunwale isn't all that conducive to fishing.

However, in my limited experience with dive charters. A boat with that many tanks on board is not likely to have any guests/crew doing any hook & line fishing. Spearfishing, possibly.

Back
Top Bottom