Another tragedy in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warhammer

Reaction score
Rescuers look for diver lost in gulf outing
By MIKE BRASSFIELD

© St. Petersburg Times, published February 22, 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLEARWATER -- Rescuers late Wednesday were continuing the search for an off-duty Lealman firefighter reported missing while scuba diving in the Gulf of Mexico.

Vincent K. Auletta, 26, had gone out on a diving trip with four or five other off-duty Lealman firefighters. They had stopped their boat 71/2 to 10 miles off Clearwater Pass when Auletta went underwater and didn't come back up, authorities said.

The U.S. Coast Guard searched by boat for Auletta late Wednesday, and dive teams planned to resume their search this morning.

"Our hopes and prayers go out to all the families of those involved, and especially to the missing diver," said District Chief Rick Porter of the Lealman Fire Department, which serves an area north of St. Petersburg.

About 2:45 p.m., Auletta and another diver donned their gear and dove down about 35 feet to see whether they had found the spot where the group wanted to dive. On their way back to the surface, Auletta's diving companion lost sight of him, said Pinellas sheriff's spokeswoman Marianne Pasha.

"Auletta surfaced briefly and appeared to be floundering in the water," Pasha said.

Auletta told his friends that something was wrong with his diving equipment, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

Seeing that Auletta was in trouble, another man jumped from the group's 22-foot pleasure boat and tried to rescue him.

"He tried to grasp him by the weight belt, but to no avail, and Auletta slipped away into the water," Pasha said.

Auletta's friends put out a distress call, and the Coast Guard sent a helicopter and two rescue boats to start searching.

"The only thing they found was his breathing apparatus," said Coast Guard Duty Officer Dave Cameron.

Auletta's friends weren't sure how much diving experience he had, according to the Coast Guard.

The Clearwater Fire Department's dive team was called out to search the water, and deputies with the Pinellas sheriff's marine unit were at the scene.

Investigators didn't know exactly what had happened to Auletta. "The information is still sketchy," Pasha said.

http://www.sptimes.com/News/022201/TampaBay/Rescuers_look_for_div.shtml

Sad for sure, but this statement makes me wonder:

"Auletta's friends weren't sure how much diving experience he had, according to the Coast Guard."

But I'll keep my trap shut, until I know more.

Please post more on this one. Would like to follow it. Hard to see myself letting a dive buddy slip away!

Sad, but the story sounds incomplete. I wonder if the guy was certified? and does the story make it sound like they were in a bit of a current?

Eric

I heard on the news last night that the guy had been found. The clip didn't say anything about his certification level or experience. I've dove in that general area and there's never been any current to speak of. The news report said his breathing apparatus was found, so evidently he had taken his BC off for some reason. When he surfaced he didn't have his mask on either. Lots of things I don't understand about this one.
Bob

He must have encountered some kind of trouble and removed his BC. while under water. He did surface briefly, and his buddies observed that he didn't have his mask on. That must mean he either took it off or it was knocked from his face somehow. His dive buddies tried to rescue him but couldn't. One of his friends said that he grabbed the guy by his weightbelt, but couldn't hold him up (the diver in distress) and had to let go. That must have meant that since the guy in distess was still weighted, that he sank, probably to the bottom.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom