Anthony's Key Resort, Beware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMdoogie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just got back from a week long trip to Anthony's Key Resort. We got a nasty surprise when asking about the upcoming dives. AKR will not take divers to Mary's Place anymore. As far as I'm concerned, Mary's Place is one of the premier dive sites on the island, and one that has always been the highlight of our trips there. When I asked the dive shop manager why, he said they haven't been diving it for four months, and he said, "It isn't such a great site." I asked some other staff members and found out that the real reason is that they don't want to use the extra fuel to get there.
I asked the manager if we could get people on one boat to pay a fuel surcharge to go there, and he pretty much ignored me. Needless to say, I won't go to AKR again, but will go to CCV or FI, on the same side of the island as Mary's Place.
Other than that, I like everything else at AKR. Be forewarned, call ahead and confirm dive sites before booking.
DMdoogie

Any number of resorts, dive ops and liveaboards will be driving around a whole lot less due to gas prices.

I much prefer the diving on the South side of the island, where Mary's Place, CCV, FIBR are located. It is unique in the Caribbean in very many ways.

Mary's Place is highly overrated as a dive site. There are more interesting dives on the side of it, and after you have seen it once or twice, there's not much going on. If you have a private guide who is well versed in the current inhabitants, you will be amazed at what lies hidden- but for most of us- it's a big deep crack to swim through. It lies 15 minutes boat ride West of CCV or FIBR- but an hour+ from any West or North Side dive op.

A good 1/2 hr further on down East from CCV is Calvin's Crack out in front of Oak Ridge area- and no one goes there weekly for sure besides CCV and the small Oak Ridge guest houses. For many of us who have been diving the South side a lot, Calvin's Crack far surpasses Mary's Place.

If Mary's Place is what it takes to get people to dive the South side and begin to understand what it offers, that's great. But it isn't the be all and end all.

AKR and CCV are comparable in many regards when looked at in terms of diver services. For some, the fact that AKR allows kids, has fancy rooms, and is close to the West End for night life is a plus.

For others, the CCV Shore dive, the boats, the gear rooms, the unique South shore reefs, the over the water cabanas- that is the lure.

FIBR is in a slightly different category, diving services take a second place, but you can't beat it if your non-diving partner wants a beach and pool.

AKR has a lot of positives, but if you want to dive Mary's Place, there are day dive ops that you can charter (for a day away from AKR) that are headed that way.

Last edited:
I got a chance to dive Mary's place this time while I was on Roatan. I have always stayed in West End. The seas were a bit rough so Coconut Tree bussed us over to the other side where their boat was already waiting for us. I got to say I was not impressed. My favorite part of it was the shallow reef at the top, tons of life.

Also agree that Mary's Place is not as much fun as Calvin's Crack.

To stipulate that a person will not return to AKR because it no longer sends a boat to a site over an hour away just seems odd with all the other wonderful diving that is available.

I'll vote for Mary's Place over Calvin's Crack but both are great. Calvin's Crack appeals to a lot of people because of the entry point but Mary's place is better overall as far as I'm concerned.

All divers should try both sides of the Island and some of the lessor known resorts. You don't know what your missing if you keep going back to the same place every time.

BIBR - small resort with great food and smaller uncrowded boats with and very personallized service. North side near AKR.

PAYA BAY - small resort with unique setting. Two beaches with one being totally private. You'll not find a more beautiful place on the island. Diving provided by separate company but totally different than most of Roatan. You'll rarely see another diver. North side not near any other resorts.

Reef House - older resort very near Calvin's Crack that visits many dive sights not used by other resorts. In Oak Ridge which is on the South Side.

For others, the CCV Shore dive, the boats, the gear rooms, the unique South shore reefs, the over the water cabanas- that is the lure.

You forgot about the Monkey la-la's :eyebrow:

I just got back from a week long trip to Anthony's Key Resort. We got a nasty surprise when asking about the upcoming dives. AKR will not take divers to Mary's Place anymore. As far as I'm concerned, Mary's Place is one of the premier dive sites on the island, and one that has always been the highlight of our trips there. When I asked the dive shop manager why, he said they haven't been diving it for four months, and he said, "It isn't such a great site." I asked some other staff members and found out that the real reason is that they don't want to use the extra fuel to get there.
I asked the manager if we could get people on one boat to pay a fuel surcharge to go there, and he pretty much ignored me. Needless to say, I won't go to AKR again, but will go to CCV or FI, on the same side of the island as Mary's Place.
Other than that, I like everything else at AKR. Be forewarned, call ahead and confirm dive sites before booking.
DMdoogie

This is no longer the case. They do dive Mary's place still...Was just there last week and several of the boats went there.

deleted

Last edited:
I have stayed at AKR 4 or 5 times and the only time they have gone to Mary's Place is when we went to the picnic. I thought it was a good dive, but nothing extraordinary.

Anybody realize you're responding to posts that were originally made in 2008? A lot has changed since then...

Back
Top Bottom