Antibiotics & Diving. Can it go together?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vyper

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
a friend of mine was prescribed to take an antibiotic for 10 straight days. this is meant to take out the swelling in her mouth. the thing is she's scheduled to go on a live-aboard dive trip on day 11, or a day after she completed the medication. reservations were already finalized and downpayment was made.

question is, it okay to dive after the 10-day antibiotic medication?

this may have been covered here before. but i can't seem to find the thread.

thoughts please...

Provided that the diver is feeling well and fit for scuba, the uneventful completion of a course of routine antibiotics in and of itself would not be expected to cause any
diving-related risks.

Of more concern would be the condition for which the drug was prescribed. An incomplete resolution of the infection could result in it lingering or even coming back in full force. And, an infection of the mouth could result in discomfort from or even inability to securely retain the second stage mouthpiece. One would want to be confident that the swelling and its underlying cause had adequately responded to treatment.

A final caution would include proper fluid intake as certain antibiotics can contribute to dehydration. While always of concern in scuba, it would be especially important under these circumstances to achieve and maintain an excellent state of hydration starting a day or two prior to the trip.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Helpful?

DocVikingo

It certainly answered the concerns. Yup, we'll gauge if the patient feels better in a few days. If she's able to physically handle and enjoy doing 4-5 dives a day. If not, we won't force the issue.

The patient is expected to complete the 10-day antibiotic treatment, a day before day 1 of the liveaboard trip. Photofinish, but should meet the cut-off.

You're right, comfort & convenience in using the regulator is also of importance considering the swelling is in her mouth. Again, we'll see a couple of days from now.

She'll also need to hydrate as early as now - isotonic drinks, juices, water, etc.

Generally, I take it she can dive. Assuming the patient will show improvement in the days ahead.

Thanks for providing the answers.

Big help!

As a born and raised Floridian, I have learned from others' and my own experiences that anitibiotics often reduce the body's defense against the harmful rays of the sun.

Your friend would be wise to be paranoid about the sun and to frequently apply sunscreen to all exposed skin. Backs of the hands, tops of the feet, and god forbid, feet BOTTOMS, are all susceptible to sunburn, frequently forgotten, and quite unpleasant when affected. Another good reason to keep booties on while on the boat.

Hard to tell, beside the condition that the antibiotic is taken for, age, type of antibiotics etc may make a difference as well. Tetracycline is well known for increase sensitivity to sunlight ie you can get burn more easily, some antibiotics may cause nausea and stomach discomfort such as erythromycin, cipro etc. Some people may develop serious allergic reaction to the medicaiton but consider that your friend would have been on the med for 10 days, if anything should happen, it should happen long before she gets on the boat anyhow.
One possible concern may be that if your friend takes antibiotic from the quinolone class (such as cipro, levoquin etc), one rare side effect is mental status change, a person becomes less responsive, sleepy etc. I see it a bit more often in older people but just wonder that, like many other medications that can affect the central nervous system, it seems that the side effect may be more severe under high pressure or potentiate by higher partial pressure of nitrogen such as diving so this is something that I would look out for. There may be other problems as well but that's all I can think of now.

ssra30:
Hard to tell, beside the condition that the antibiotic is taken for, age, type of antibiotics etc may make a difference as well. Tetracycline is well known for increase sensitivity to sunlight ie you can get burn more easily, some antibiotics may cause nausea and stomach discomfort such as erythromycin, cipro etc. Some people may develop serious allergic reaction to the medicaiton but consider that your friend would have been on the med for 10 days, if anything should happen, it should happen long before she gets on the boat anyhow.
One possible concern may be that if your friend takes antibiotic from the quinolone class (such as cipro, levoquin etc), one rare side effect is mental status change, a person becomes less responsive, sleepy etc. I see it a bit more often in older people but just wonder that, like many other medications that can affect the central nervous system, it seems that the side effect may be more severe under high pressure or potentiate by higher partial pressure of nitrogen such as diving so this is something that I would look out for. There may be other problems as well but that's all I can think of now.

thanks ssra!

she's a 25 year old, reasonably fit diver. no allergies so far. will take note of the sunburn effect. will probably cover her entire body if possible. will also watch her more closely during the dive with regards to "mental status change".

can you please elaborate further on the "side effect may be more severe under high pressure or potentiate by higher partial pressure of nitrogen such as diving". layman's terms please =>.

gracias!

Opps, sorry about that, let see if I can do better.
Basically the theory is that ,first, you have a medication that can affect the brain ie making you drowsy, confused etc, secondly, you are in an environment where your brain can be affected ie nitrogen narcosis, in some people either one of the two factors may not cause any problem but when you have both factors working at the same time, it may become a big problem. I hope this clears up what I said.
Little is known about effect of medication under pressure and it is rather controversial, to the point where some people would advocate not taking any stimulants such as psuedoephidrine, caffeine etc.

ssra30:
Opps, sorry about that, let see if I can do better.
Basically the theory is that ,first, you have a medication that can affect the brain ie making you drowsy, confused etc, secondly, you are in an environment where your brain can be affected ie nitrogen narcosis, in some people either one of the two factors may not cause any problem but when you have both factors working at the same time, it may become a big problem. I hope this clears up what I said.
Little is known about effect of medication under pressure and it is rather controversial, to the point where some people would advocate not taking any stimulants such as psuedoephidrine, caffeine etc.

got it. thanks a lot! big help.

Back
Top Bottom