Any advice on shooting a Riffe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Florabama

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Was wondering if Chad or someone on the board with Riffe experience had any advice or tips for shooting a Riffe.

I just moved up from a 42 Biller to a Riffe with a spear length of 55". The way the Riffe strings is very different from what I'm used to with the Biller, and I can see how it would cause problems underwater. The gun came with three bands, but the spear only has two notches, so I may take one off and just use two.

I have 2 Comp 3XS's. I just point and shoot. If I miss it's because a wave bounced me right as I pulled the trigger...or the sun was in my eye...or the rotation of the earth.... :D What don't you like about the way it strings? The string wrapping over the shaft at the end of the gun?

Most of the 9/32" spears have two fins in my experience. You can put two bands on one fin with no problem. How many wraps does your gun have? With two wraps you will have more issues with tangling. Cut the line down to one wrap and you'll probably notice a big difference. Two bands should be sufficient for most conditions especially if you have a 9/32" shaft. Remember, more bands mean longer loading time and hassle and also accuracy issues on open track guns.

I really didn't realize that the Riffe has a mono type string versus a nylon one on my Biller until I bought it. The nylon cord on my old Biller was very easy to string and you didn't have to worry about kinking the line. This mono looks like it might kink. Do Riffe owners stick with the mono or change it out to nylon or cable?

Also, just getting the spear shaft set is different than my Biller. With the Biller, the muzzle guides the spear into the breech. With the Riffe, there is no muzzle. You have to lay the spear onto the gun, and then lock it into the breech, and then wrap the string around the spear shaft.

I guess all of that is just new to me. Everybody that I've talked to loves the Riffe, but its going to take some getting used to for me.

The aim point is a tad higher with a Riffe than a Biller. It took me a few shots to start hitting where I was aiming after switching.

deadend:
Most of the 9/32" spears have two fins in my experience. You can put two bands on one fin with no problem. How many wraps does your gun have? With two wraps you will have more issues with tangling. Cut the line down to one wrap and you'll probably notice a big difference. Two bands should be sufficient for most conditions especially if you have a 9/32" shaft. Remember, more bands mean longer loading time and hassle and also accuracy issues on open track guns.

The line is about 20 ft if you include the length of the spear shaft. It has two or three wraps. If you cut the line down, aren't you losing some opportunities to shoot fish a little further out? That was one of the reasons I got the Riffe -- was to have more range.

Florabama:
The line is about 20 ft if you include the length of the spear shaft. It has two or three wraps. If you cut the line down, aren't you losing some opportunities to shoot fish a little further out? That was one of the reasons I got the Riffe -- was to have more range.

That 20' is why you're having trouble with the gun. Work on getting closer to the fish and on shot placement. Having 2 wraps IMO more than doubles reload time and is a huge hassle. In your area on natural bottom you should give freeshafting a try. Use one band and no line and you'll have a big smile at the end of the day. Shoot, load, repeat! In addition, I much prefer mono shooting line to some of the limp stuff that wants to knot up and kink. Good luck!

Florabama:
I really didn't realize that the Riffe has a mono type string versus a nylon one on my Biller until I bought it. The nylon cord on my old Biller was very easy to string and you didn't have to worry about kinking the line. This mono looks like it might kink. Do Riffe owners stick with the mono or change it out to nylon or cable?

Also, just getting the spear shaft set is different than my Biller. With the Biller, the muzzle guides the spear into the breech. With the Riffe, there is no muzzle. You have to lay the spear onto the gun, and then lock it into the breech, and then wrap the string around the spear shaft.

I guess all of that is just new to me. Everybody that I've talked to loves the Riffe, but its going to take some getting used to for me.

Florabama,

You did well to move up to a longer gun. I have shot a few of my buddies Riffes but sold the only one I had, won it in a tournament. But my Wong guns are almost identical in the ways you are asking about.

Keep your two wraps of mono, or get another spear rigged the same way with cable and a slip tip for the rigs close to your west. Your gun can reach out and hit prize fish from well beyond the range of many lesser line guns. Heavy mono is fast and stiff which makes it easy to work with compared to soft nylon. The rigging system with no slide ring is far superior, fast and quiet, than your old 42" Biller line rig, although it takes a little longer to rewrap.

I highly recommend freeshafting instead for bottom fish. Contrary to many thoughts your gun will freeshaft very well. It has no closed muzzle, but experienced shooters have no problem with that. Riffe will suggest a hair band or other wrap, but it's really not necessary, just be careful.

The choice of how many bands to use will vary with the conditions and rigging. Keep three for long shooting heavy duty rigs. Maybe drop to 2 where you use Hawaiian flopper spears, and only one strong band for freeshafting.

Congratulations on your new gun!

Chad

Chad Carney:
I highly recommend freeshafting instead for bottom fish. Contrary to many thoughts your gun will freeshaft very well. It has no closed muzzle, but experienced shooters have no problem with that. Riffe will suggest a hair band or other wrap, but it's really not necessary, just be careful. chad

Chad, do you recommend this free shafting for free diving? or only scuba? I'm afraid I'd lose all my spears pretty quick free diving. I'm not that great of a shot...yet :D

Are you having accuracy issues?

When I switched from a short JBL gun to a Riffe C-3XS, I had some issues with the gun shooting low. My accuracy improved right away when I dropped to 2 bands, and stopped aiming the speargun like it was a rifle.

If you are using a Standard#3 or a Metal Tech#3, the number of bands and recoil may not be an issue. But, if you have the C-3XS, too much recoil can be causing the stock to push up on the back of the shaft as it leaves the gun. The back end get pushed up...the tip points down. After some practice, I'm sure that you will be able to manage the recoil and shoot your gun perfectly straight with 3 bands, but removing a band may be a short term solution.

Back
Top Bottom