Any advice on shooting a Riffe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ifukuda:
Are you having accuracy issues?

When I switched from a short JBL gun to a Riffe C-3XS, I had some issues with the gun shooting low. My accuracy improved right away when I dropped to 2 bands, and stopped aiming the speargun like it was a rifle.

I haven't shot enough other guns to say that my C-3XS's shoot low by comparison. But I point a bit high.....having missed the sweet spot a bit at first. That's a good observation about the recoil. I don't really aim it like a rifle either....more just point it like a shotgun.

Chad, are you talking about one of the those elastic hair bands for freeshafting the Riffe? If so, do you just slip it over the end of the gun, and then shoot through it? If I try that, should I get another spear since the spear it came with has the raised fins for bands?

Riffe/Wong spears only come with shark fins. Don't worry about losing the hair/rubber band just carry a few if you choose to use them. (BTW I sell Wong spears from my website, www.mobilescuba.com)

There is a lot to learn about freeshafting, and you need moderately clear water, but it's very effective and a joy to shoot, with or without tanks.

The only free spear I lost last year fell out of a big grouper while swimming him back to the boat in rough seas.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom