Any back inflation BC recommended?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't want to do an online fight with you tobin.

The goal what to tell the OP that "generally" an heavy wet suit requires more lead and so on, more lift.

That's simply not true. You are spreading misinformation.

If the dry suit does a total failure. and why not the wing also.

Ah, gee, if my suit fails I have to use my wing. My wing had better offer enough lift to replace the buoyancy lost when the drysuit fails.

One more time. In almost every case a drysuit will be more buoyant than the last wetsuit the diver used.

Why? People don't buy drysuits because they are warm and comfy in their wetsuit.

People buy drysuits because they want **MORE** insulation. More insulation means more buoyancy.

Twice you have suggested that when diving a drysuit smaller wings are acceptable.

If you're diving dry suit you won't need a wing as large as you're diving wet suit.

The way i see it is that a dry suit doesn't loose buoyancy with depth if you adjust it. So no compression means no change in buoyancy which mean, in the end, less lift required.

The "way you see it" ignores the consequences of a drysuit failure.

Anyway, you can either ditch weight

Which is preferable / safer, having enough wing to make a controlled ascent or dropping weight?

safety/deco stop bag to gain some buoyancy.

What is a deco stop bag?

I dive wet and I always have a rig that allow me to go from my deepest point to the surface even with a blown-up wing or OOA situation.

They why are you offering advise on how to size a wing when using a drysuit?

Your "advice" is unsafe and a disservice to members here.

Tobin

Last edited:
your type of answer as usual.

Thanks for Tobin and Stefusa's discussion.
Although I feel a bit more confused in the end as a BP/W newbie.

And about the weight I wear now.
I use 6 weights which are 2 kg I assume for 7mm semi dry + vest/hood.
The stuff I need to carry every now and then should be around 2-6 kg.
Of course, I will consider the lift bag next time, however sometimes we either forget to bring or just carry by hand is easier.

Just like to get a easy start again.
What's the best choice for a zeagle or Hollis?
Except the way too much lift I need, which model is recommended for a jacket BC user to start easily?

Colin

Hollis is a new company, I have their regulator and octo and am very pleased with it. I think you'll be fine with either. I dive a Mares Icon, but I do like the Zeagle and Hollis rigs. Its nice they have zipper pockets to store small stuff. Back inflation isn't a difficult switch, my bc has trim pockets on the top tank band that helps with control. But bottom line where ever your head goes that's where you'll go. Don't worry about lift it doesn't hurt to have "too much"; why would it? You only add as much air as you need, its not like you are just gonna fill it full all the time. More lift is good if you dive cold water. Just my two cents. Don't get hung up on the too much lift deal though.

Choose the one that suits you better and get to it. I like back lift, it has more control in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom