Any Brisbane divers here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigern

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to be in Brisbane sometime around the 7th. What's diving like this time of year. Are there dive shops/dive outfitters that should be avoided. what's the average water temp this time of year.

Secondly, the Pubs. Which ones should be avoided. Which ones are the tourists traps.
Thanks in advance.

Dean

HI Dean

I don't live in Brisbane, but I often dive from there...so no up to date info on pubs and the local nightlife.

As for the diving, its good now and getting better all the time. The water is warming a bit...I had two good weekends out earlier this month. If you're looking to dive during the week, choices are limited...If you'll be there on the weekend, there are heaps more choices.

However, I generally dive with my LDS which is inland, so I can't advise on particular shops...If you've got wheels, you can get to dive sites everywhere from the northern NSW up to the Sunshine Coast and the recently sunk HMAS Brisbane, which is starting to attract fish and 'grow into' an underwater habitat. Otherwise, there are Moreton Bay day and overnight trips or Stradbroke Island, which are both good.

Hope this helps.

I don't know about Brisbane, but water temps at Byron Bay, which is just south, are 70F right now. My husband and I will be there about the same time you are in Brisbane!

cool, thanks for the info. My ship is going to have a few dive trips planned so I'm pretty sure I'll be ok. I'm gonna get to dive with a wetsuit for the first time so that will be an interesting experience. I'm reviewing the proper weighting procedure to make sure I'm good to go!

Thanks for the replys
Dean

Temps here are about 22C at the moment, and should stay like that for a little while longer. 5mm wettie's prob the best best. If you really want to see the best spots, the best bet is to get on a liveaboard and get outside of Moreton Bay. Day trips also run to these sites, weather permiting. We've got a range of wrecks and reefs here off Brisbane. All the stores pretty much charge the same for day trips, expect about AU$140 for a double dive (yes, that's a lot). As we get closer to Summer, the conditions are going to get worse though, with the winds picking up and vis dropping off. Winter's def the best time to dive here.

As for pubs - depends on what you like. There's a couple of typical Aussie pubs around, normally filled with drunken uni students. Not that that's a bad thing. In the city is a couple of dancey places, however a few can be quite fake. Fortitude Valley has the best night life (just north of the city), with everything from proper dance clubs to alternate grungy holes. Wouldnt sugest walking aroudn the Valley on your own though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom