Any Civil War Diving Buffs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No real battles to speak of up north here,so I was wondering if anybody south of Gettysburb has ever recovered any Civil War relics from river, lakes or Ocean? Some research in the logging industry in N.H. has produced some real interesting finds.

But we have many Revolutionary War Battle sites...

No real battles to speak of up north here,so I was wondering if anybody south of Gettysburb has ever recovered any Civil War relics from river, lakes or Ocean? Some research in the logging industry in N.H. has produced some real interesting finds.

Well not really related to a battle but was related to the war of 1812, The Royal Sovereign, a British Transport carrying around 800 troops, women and childern wrecked at St. Pauls Is. Nova Scotia. Also on board was a shipment of Mexican silver coins that was headed to England to be re-minted. The ship and her treasure are yet to be found.

One more tid-bit about that war, 195 American sailors and troops were imprisoned on Dead Man's island near Halifax as POWs where they eventually died. They are buried there and every year a detachment of American Military come to Halifax during Rememberance/Memorial Day to pay their respects. If any American divers reading this find themselves in Halifax you might want to do the same for these brave heros of the past.
ZDD

I was told that the sash badge was from the canadaien division because there is no number in the center of the badge.there were only around 400 known in this division during the war of 1812.

Very true Sean...You seem very knowledgable, have you looked for revolutionary relics?

Send me a Private email. One thing you may want to think about (and what we have done) is to get yourself an UW and above water detector. You can do the land sites in the off season and add to your collection. Going back to your Civil war question: we didn't have any battles here but that does not mean you can't find CW relics here. I have an enlistedman's US belt plate that came from a New England spot and a friend found a US officer's belt plate not far away. As far as finding stuff in the water, you should dive the USS New Hampshire. She was layed down in 1818 but not finished until 186(3 or 4) She was used as a receiving ship in Port Royal SC during the war. So, anything you find(and it is legal to collect artifacts from the site) would technically be classed as a Civil War relic.

The Rhode Island laws are very specific (and draconium!) concerning the recovery of underwater treasures:

CHAPTER 42-45.1, Antiquities Act of Rhode Island

SECTION 42-45.1-2: Purpose of chapter. – The general assembly of the state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations hereby declares that the public has an interest in the identification, interpretation, preservation, and protection of the state's archaeological resources including underwater historic properties situated under the navigable waters and territorial seas of the state; that the public has a right to the knowledge to be derived and gained from a scientific study of these resources; and that therefore it is the purpose of this chapter to provide that activities for the identification, preservation, excavation, study, and exhibition of the state's archaeological resources be undertaken in a coordinated and organized manner, with due consideration given to other significant natural and man-made environmental assets, for the general welfare of the public as a whole.

SECTION 42-45.1-3: Definitions. –

(1) "Field investigations" means the study of the traces of human culture at any land or water site by means of surveying, sampling, excavating, or removing surface or subsurface objects, or going on a site with that intent.

(2) "Site" means any man-made landform, fort, earthwork, habitation area, burial ground, historic or prehistoric ruin, mine, cave, or other location which is or may be the source of important archaeological data.

(3) "Specimen" means all relics, artifacts, remains, objects, or any other archaeological evidence of a historical, prehistorical, or anthropological nature which may be found on or below the surface of the earth, and which have scientific or historical value as objects of antiquity or as archaeological samples.

(4) "Underwater historic property" means any shipwreck, vessel, cargo, tackle, or underwater archaeological specimen, or part thereof, including any found at refuse sites or submerged sites of former habitation, that has remained unclaimed for more than ten (10) years on the bottoms of any navigable waters and territorial seas of the state.

SECTION 42-45.1-4: Property and investigative rights of state. –
(a) The state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations reserves to itself the exclusive right and privilege of field investigation on sites owned or controlled by the state, its agencies, departments, or institutions, in order to protect and preserve archaeological and scientific information, matter, and objects. All the information and objects derived from state lands shall remain the property of the state and be utilized for scientific or public educational purposes.

(b) Furthermore, subject to any local, state, or federal statute, the title to all bottoms of navigable waters within the state's jurisdiction in the territorial sea, and the title to any underwater historic properties lying on or under the bottoms of any other navigable waters of the state, is hereby declared to be in the state, and the bottoms and underwater historic properties shall be subject to the exclusive dominion and control of the state.

Hey nice finds...I wonder if N.Y. has any laws against relic hunting? I wonder were states draw the line on artifacts? Why would old bottles be OK and say a cannon ball be illegal?

How on earth could a state prohibit anyone from looking for anything?

I may or may not have found a medicine bottle and a home made wrench for a boiler pipe on a wreck.

How on earth could a state prohibit anyone from looking for anything?
How could they prove you weren't looking for 9 year old artifacts at that? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom