Any disadvantage to High Pressure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highveelocity

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm currently diving an aluminum 80 and want to switch to a steel high pressure 100. Are there any disadvantages or drawbacks to doing this?

Not as far as I'm concerned.

More air. Better buoyancy. Less lead. Option to go DIN. What's NOT to like (asides from the initial cost).

Advantages ,
- less dry weight
- smaller tank (can be a disadvantage for some)
- more air

Disadvantages
- more demanding to the quality of the fills as the steel will rust easier if they have moist air
- some shops do not provide full fills
- price tag

I think you need to look for a shop where you dive that will fill them. When they first became popular, many shops with 3000 psi fill systems couldn't give you your moneys worth. It's better now, but check around to be sure.

I love my HP 100 and 130. But last weekend we did a two day trip. The boat consistently filled my HP 100 to only 2800 psi while it was filling my buddy's LP 80 to 2600, so he was getting around 86 cf out of his 80 while I was getting around 81 cf out of my 100. In that case having an LP was definitley an advantage.

Check this out

Tank Volume

An AL 80 80cf @ 3000psi either 77cf or 80cf
100HP @ 3442psi is 100cf @ 3000psi would be 87cf @2600psi 75.5cf

I hear the old argument you may only get a 3000psi fill. So what with a 100HP you still have more air and a better tank with a lot of fill options & growing potential.
I like them as they are easier to handle then an AL 80 and I can dive with less weight.
They are a better tank just cost more $$$$$. Look for them used.

I'm currently diving an aluminum 80 and want to switch to a steel high pressure 100. Are there any disadvantages or drawbacks to doing this?

There is the slight possibility that in some locations a 3442 fill might not be possible. It is marginally more difficult to get a perfect fill but I see plenty of AL80 divers get short fills after cooling.

It is of course a steel cylinder so an wet fill can make a mess. AL doesn't get off Scott free either though.

The buoyancy & weight advantage far outweigh any inconveniences. The 100 F numbers are a little different put the message is the same.

Pete

It is of course a steel cylinder so an wet fill can make a mess. AL doesn't get off Scott free either though.

We are lucky in this very busy dive port to have so many LDS choices. Luckily, there are two wetfilling stations within 5 miles of my house. I would not go anywhere else. Unless a shop employs absolute morons water damage is not an issue.

Regardless, I would rather replace cylinders every 5 years than deal with short fills...

Some would consider a "wet fill" station to be indicative of a less educated mentality than I prefer for my air supply.

In Hawaii it is hard to get a fill over 3000 psi. My Steel 120's are ~103 cf at 3000 psi.

Anyone find any issues in the amount of time it takes to get an adequate fill of an HP steel tank compared to LP or Al? (Fill, cool, top off). Probably assuming no water bath.

Back
Top Bottom