Any fix for stripped lens thread on Sony MPK-URX100A housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought a Sony MPK-URX100A housing to replace an old Meikon plastic housing that I initially bought as a temporary unit because back then, nobody made a non-aluminum housing, which was giving me issues with shutter button not returning in its last few years. But after using the Sony housing for 1 trip (with maybe 32 dives), I noticed on my next trip, my Inon UWL-100 dome wet lens falling out in the rinse tank. Along with the lens hood going more and more out of vertical alignment, I eventually realized the 67mm lens port's thread is starting to strip. I stopped using the lens for fear it might fall out right on a dive. I noticed the thread is plastic instead of metal, which I didn't think an OEM housing would ever do.

Just wondering if there are any fix for this kind of thing, which I presume is somewhat common given that there are housings with non-metal lens port threads. I see some solution of removing a UV lens off a filter and epoxying it. Not sure if all those filters rings are corrosion resistant. Others talk of teflon tape or strip of cloth to make a tighter fit, which might sound impractical as I have to burp the lens. Do Sony have replacement thread lens port?

Only thing that comes to mind is a flip adapter that clamps onto the outside of the port, instead of threading into it - there are some out there, targeting specific port models, example. Measure the outside diameter of your port and you might find one that fits, although as you can see, they tend to be somewhat expensive. Otherwise, you can try contacting Sony customer service and the retailer that you bought the housing from; perhaps they can sell you a replacement port front.

Only thing that comes to mind is a flip adapter that clamps onto the outside of the port, instead of threading into it - there are some out there, targeting specific port models, example. Measure the outside diameter of your port and you might find one that fits, although as you can see, they tend to be somewhat expensive. Otherwise, you can try contacting Sony customer service and the retailer that you bought the housing from; perhaps they can sell you a replacement port front.
Those flip adapters cost as much as the housing. Too bad I didn't use it soon after the purchase for first trip, as the defect become noticable during the another trip a little over a year after the first trip. Warranty expired by now. Maybe Sony can send or sell a replacement threaded cap, but it will probably last one trip again. Maybe epoxying on a UV filter with the glass removed would be a better solution, but there would be no going back, even if the ring starts corroding.

Back
Top Bottom