Any fossilers wanna show off some photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL, too funny Lee~!!! I jsut seen the pics on my cell phone. I cannot remember if I was on the boat when Phill found that particular tooth, Lord knows that guy finds some really nice teeth indeed !!!!

nice shot of my pumpkin and helmet ! LOL I am going to add a gopro hero3 camera to it this year. I am now down even more weight then that pic and losing more. I think I was 290 lbs in that pic and I am at 225 lb right now.

I need to meet a woman that enjoys diving and traveling.
Been there done that for 3 years. It was fun. Got dumped. Grieved. Past it. Next..

Good idea about looking up Vinson. I was planning to next year but no time like the present. I have his contact info. I have only seen half of his collection. It was awesome. He said next time he would show me the good stuff. I will float him over some emails. Did I mention he has a pile of earbones in his yard the size of three or four bed pillows.

Vinsons Junk Box

100_0038.jpg

Floating in with Vinsons Junk teeth

100_0043.jpg

hey Mike is this what you are talking about when you say vert? these things are all over Vinsons yard. Look in the background of the photo

100_0027.jpg

I think Vinson is building a dinosaur one piece at a time

Here is the boat Mike. Got it a little better rigged now. Gonna swap the electric motor for a 2.0hp, 28lb Suzuki

100_0468.jpg

Here is a spot I wanna dig. Public ramp in the woods. Seldom used. Wade in when the water is low. Fill the basket

Untitled.jpg

I am good to go most all the time Tony. I have some gray hairs (my 28 year old calls me a silverback) but i sink like a rock and can wallow in the mud and love every minute of it. I wanna dig some creeks. I wanna dig some creeks.
I wanna dig some creeks.
I wanna dig some creeks.
I wanna dig some creeks.
I wanna dig some creeks.

will be online tonight

Last edited:
Hey Lee, I may be up for a Peace River trip myself. I,m getting ready to order another Hookah for next years diving in the Edisto Just got back tonite from salvage job in Jacksonville Fla. Not sucessful will go back when the water is warmer.... a very chilly 58 degs.!!!! Capt. Phill

Dont know if i told you Phil but after the transmission went out on the car so did the home ac. i cancelled my 2011 vacation/fossil hunting reservations with Fossilbabe and pulled up into my turtle shell so to give my saving account a rest. Made it through the year okay but had to be there for my son. (long story) i had to have a new vehicle so i got me a 2007 F150 4x4 with 50k miles and have absolutely no regrets. It has a liner and is rigged for towing.

I have vacation available to me starting January. I can go do the Peace River and Debra's private property site, whenever you want to leave. We do need to get a green light on the water level first. They say do not go when the water is high because they mostly shovel and sift. They say its the only way to get to the gravel. I do not think there is much scuba in the Peace River. Debra also has a choice private property she is fossiling also. She is finding an occasional complete nice Meg. Here is another river guide:

Paleo Discoveries ~ PaleoDiscoveries.com ~ PaleoDiscoveries.net ~ <- click here

Phil the idea of you purchasing another Hookah brings a smile to my face and i am not even sure why. I think it is because of the way i feel about seeing commitment. This is GREAT news. I wanna try it but at first i wanna have on my scuba unit. AND NO FARTING IN THE AIR INTAKE WHEN I AM USING IT TO BREATH OFF OF!

Having company would be great. So if and when you commit, I am good to go

ps: another fossil yielding river that has been dove a lot is the Suwannee

the kiddie pool:

---------- Post added November 30th, 2012 at 11:17 AM ----------

okay Phil tell us about the salvage? how deep? water conditions? what is it? how big is it? how deep in the muck is it? slings? air bags?

when are we leaving for the Peace River? Jan 18, 19, 20, 21 works for me. What works for you?

Last edited:
Hey Phill, post up a pic of the GW you found. I haven't been able to find a pic of it. I measured my largest GW and it is missing most the root and measures in a 2 3/4 inches so I bet yours is a dandy.

---------- Post added November 30th, 2012 at 12:34 PM ----------

Lee, I can give you a couple of spots that is out of the way and you will find some really nice teeth. Now that you have a 4x4 it'll be easy to get to one spot and it produces really nice bluish/gray angys.

Mike I have a bunch of creeks along I-26 I wanna dig. Will go tomorrow (high of 70deg predicted) if I find someone to tag along. I dug a creek along I-26 many years ago and my daughter picked up a nice 1 inch "Summerville Gray" with off-white root. We were not there long. I also wanna do the E river walk-ins during low water levels. Mike send them over. Maybe I can get Phil or Tony to go with me. I dont have my permit to carry yet and dont like roaming the backwoods alone for good reasons.

ps: 4x4 forever. lov it. lov it. lov it. lov it.

-----------------------------------------

one of the "for sale" items i have online was purchased tonight. i put stuff online for sale at a good price, catalog it, and store it in an organized way so i can find it again because i am always taken by surprise when i get an email saying "done deal". i think this guy purchased a little charmer in my humble opinion. i will drop it in the mail tomorrow. here is what he will receive:

51KXxNXWHoL.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

okay i keep seeing this photo pop up on my Facebook Page so I will post it here. A specimen from north central Florida

178914_306731119432540_1803492622_n.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike.... I sent Vinson an email in regards to putting us on some creeks for digging and sifting. When the warm weather comes around we can hope for a rocking dive season 2013 (as i have heard it referred to)

In contacting Vinson I ran across this photo of an EXCELLENT hand crafted piece he made. I love this stuff. Hand carved snake head handle with great attention to detail.

il_570xN.224445889.jpg

Last edited:
Vinson is really good at knapping. His work speaks volumes to that and as nice as that knife is there, you adn I both know he has even nicer pieces he has created. The day he pulled those out was a rare treat indeed!!!

Lee, I will do up a power point with the spots for you, do I have your email?

I sent you an email Mike to your mcac account. Thanks in advance for the fossil site information. I have a BUNCH of creeks picked out. I am putting them into my GPS this afternoon The weather good now, for walk-in fossiling. Debra says she is doing really well in the Peace river right now. I may go down next month. Will wait till after Christmas to commit to the trip. If the water level and weather is still good after the holidays I may just roll on down. Debra has a nose for fossils. She is just like Phil in that regard.

I have learned that I need to take some specimens with me when I go fossil hunting. I have not been doing that but I am going to start. I am seeing that fossilers really like holding the specimens and seeing them up close.

Mike, the 4x4 fits me to a tee. I will be in one the rest of my life. Should have done it a long time ago. It has my mind working. Reminds me of when I was 21 and we use to take the jeeps into the backwoods for some stump jumpin and mud boggin

Lee, very nice teeth! I would enjoy nothing better than a few of us going out for a dig, a dive or a hunt one day.

Thanks Tony. I do not dive in the winter. My blood is too old and too thin and I have never been willing to cough up the price of a dry suit. Come summer I will go diving with you most any weekend. I am completely comfortable at 80' with a nitrox tank. I use to live in your neighborhood. I know Mount Holly. I use to live in Kinston. I started in Fantacy Lake, and at Radio Island, and then moved offshore NC. The rest is a LONG story. I don't fossil Aurora (Lee Creek), by the way, because of the way they treated me that almost cost me considerably. I am perfectly okay with diving offshore NC. Its my old stomping ground. I have a couple of shipwrecks offshore Wilmington, in mind, I would like to visit. I would like to find some shark tooth beds offshore that are 60-80 as opposed to 100-110. That additional 30 feet of water column is a lot for me personally when dealing with an emergency.

Almost ALL of my fossiling pals are "scuba fossilers". Being winter, I am trying to find some guys to hit the creeks with, and some guys to do some Edisto river edge walk-ins. I am convinced the river edge gravel beds will produce some choice sharks teeth. I am not a business. I am into it for hobby. I get asked that on occasion. If you want to come down one weekend, drop me a private message and I will give you the low down.

here is some local creek stuff

100_0514.jpg

Check out this clunky old video I made of Mike and Phil, doing the Hookah, in a very low water level Edisto river

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom