any good dive shops for OW certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my OW w/ Scuba Du several years ago. The training was good, I was the only student so I got a lot of individual instruction.

Subsequently, I've done all my diving in the Carib/Mexico, so certification in Coz worked out well.

Also, while Scuba Du was PADI, I did all my coursework/poolwork with an SSI shop. However, SSI accepted the PADI OW dives/signatures (SSI has/had a process enabling this). You might want to check to see if PADI allows the same; that way you can choose the best op and get the best training, regardless of which organization will be granting your c card.

1gromit

Interesting thoughts from ggun. Me, I got my OW cert in Coz in Jan from Pap-Hogs. Very professional little group that is great to work with as long as you can handle the owners "grumpy" demeanor once in a while (lol). Not being an experienced diving, I could be wrong, but I would think that starting off in easier conditions, becoming accustomed to the new environment, before trying a more difficult one, would be the preferred option. Slowly working your way to more difficult situations as you gain confidence. Again, not being the most experienced, I could be wrong but I had been told that drift diving can be a bit of a challenge. That said, I fully expect that when I dive this summer in the chilly Great Lakes, that it will be more difficult. As for me, I'm glad that I had the chance to confirm I was comfortable in the water in those conditions. Just my thoughts. As for who to go to, I liked PH but there are a lot to choose from. I got 2 recommendations from 2 separate friends on the same place, checked them out, talked to them when I got there, and felt comfortable with their skills. Good luck, know what you mean about getting hooked !!!

Welcome to the world of scuba! I understand Gordon's perspective (ggunn), but my experience makes me say, "Do it in Cozumel!" My first two OW cert dives were in Puerto Aventuras (south of Playa del Carmen), and then I finished up when I got home. Did the second 2 OW dives at the cold, murky Dutch Springs quarry. Was I freaking out? Nahhhh! I just swam around in 3 foot visibility saying to myself (repeatedly), "Others have done this, and lived; others have done this, and lived......"

To Gordon's point, it takes an awful lot to unnerve me now. Whatever you do, have fun doing it. To save vacation time, get a book beforehand so you can do the reading before you go. You can get the PADI Go Dive book at a LDS, or on Ebay.

Diver Kat:
Alison of 'Scuba with Alison' also does PADI certifications. She lists all her qualifications & background on her website ..... and she has a great reputation on the boards. We dive with her whenever we can!!

http://www.scubawithalison.com/index.html

Alison also is a NAUI instructor so it is up to you what agency to use. I got my NAUI AOW with her and she is a very good instructor for recreational diving. This seems to be what you are looking for. It is too bad it is too late to do the initial "pool" work for OW where you live. That is the best since it doesn't tie up vacation time. Although, I know sometimes vacation is the only time some people have to do this sort of thing.

I do some lake/quarry diving up here in Illinois and if that is not your cup of tea then I would so go Cozumel! There is some truth the the comfort factor but there are other challenges in Cozumel like the waves and current that will be challenging in themselves and more important for your interests. Plus you get to experience drift and boat diving.

As someone mentioned have no concern of whether or not the operator is PADI level XYZ. That is all marketing. The ability and flexibility of the instructor is all that matters. The better the instructor the better the certification. There are many good instructors down in Cozumel. I was at Caribe Blu when akbpilot was there and I can testify they had a good time with Blue Angel :).

Back
Top Bottom