Any interest in MC-E dive lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey jason, this has me very interested.. keep us posted as to what the total cost would end up.

Price will definitly depend on quantity, and what accessories are included.

Maybe we could get a group buy going or something, and I could make this happen as long as I can get at least 20-25 people willing to put down money on one.

As to accessories ...

First off, the very first thing I do with any rechargeable item like this is get a second/backup battery. So in this case, the light unit, a charger, and 2 batt packs. So that buys one the standard 2 dives. Now you could go further and make the charger base with a removeable power jack and add a wire with wall plug, and a wire with car charger. Make that charger base able to take full advantage of the increased amps available from an auto electric system - that would buy one the ability to rotate out the batts if neccesary for more than two dives. That way you could speed up charging by just starting the auto for even 10 mins between dives.

Add a 1" or 1.5" SS split ring pre-attached to a sturdy inset loop on the bottom. That way divers can make their own choice of rigging. Lanyards are fluff that any diver prepared for mult dives will already have a supply of - so that'd just be marketing on your part if you add as std equip. But some form of velcro-like hand-grip hands free setup like the stock one that Dive Rite offers as std with their entry-level canister lights, would be great.

A pelican-like case pre-cut that fits the whole rig and 1 xtra batt.

So now we are prolly at $300 to $350 depending upon production qty and product variations. But that's what it takes one to get just a good used MR11 right now at 10W HID.

Zatwerk4ya?

Cheers.
TSL

As to accessories ...

First off, the very first thing I do with any rechargeable item like this is get a second/backup battery. So in this case, the light unit, a charger, and 2 batt packs. So that buys one the standard 2 dives. Now you could go further and make the charger base with a removeable power jack and add a wire with wall plug, and a wire with car charger. Make that charger base able to take full advantage of the increased amps available from an auto electric system - that would buy one the ability to rotate out the batts if neccesary for more than two dives. That way you could speed up charging by just starting the auto for even 10 mins between dives.

Add a 1" or 1.5" SS split ring pre-attached to a sturdy inset loop on the bottom. That way divers can make their own choice of rigging. Lanyards are fluff that any diver prepared for mult dives will already have a supply of - so that'd just be marketing on your part if you add as std equip. But some form of velcro-like hand-grip hands free setup like the stock one that Dive Rite offers as std with their entry-level canister lights, would be great.

A pelican-like case pre-cut that fits the whole rig and 1 xtra batt.

So now we are prolly at $300 to $350 depending upon production qty and product variations. But that's what it takes one to get just a good used MR11 right now at 10W HID.

Zatwerk4ya?

Cheers.
TSL

Appreciate the feedback... I could definitely supply extra 18650 batteries. They are relatively inexpensive about $5-10 each and 3rd party chargers are also pretty easy to come by.

Lithium batteries have a limited charge current, so i don't think charging them off a car charger quickly would be a good idea...

I'll probably include a simple lanyard and allow people to choose what type of end they put on. Carabineer, bolt snap, whatever...

Also I was already planning on including gift box type case with foam, but I'll look into the increased cost of offering the light with a pelican type case.

My goal with this light is to keep prices reasonable, and to offer a light with higher brightness and efficiency than a typical 10W HID that you'd pay upwards of $300 for.

Also, you referred to a Velcro hand strap type thing? Do you have any pictures to show me what your talking about? I went on dive rights site and couldn't find anything that looked like that.

Thanks,

Jason

Tactical HID

If that light goes at under $150 US and youre shipping to Norway Im certainly interested..
Whats the length of that light? approx 300mm?

Jason, Fresnel lens reduces the spill over and focuses the beam into more of a "light saber". Anyhow, keep us posted on how things develop.

If that light goes at under $150 US and youre shipping to Norway Im certainly interested..
Whats the length of that light? approx 300mm?

We would definitely ship worldwide. :D And the price will be $150 for just the light at the most, although I'd like to include some accessories in the <$150 pricetag.

Jason, Fresnel lens reduces the spill over and focuses the beam into more of a "light saber". Anyhow, keep us posted on how things develop.

Sounds similar to an aspherical lens. The only thing about these type of lenses is for focusing a quad die LED like the MCE emitter, it will often end up focusing the 4 individual dies. This type of lens would only be effective if its put out of focus.

Thanks,

Jason

Tactical HID

Looks good.
But whats with the 3 rings behind the head. Probably quite useful for cooling out of the water but would be more of a liability as a dive light. I think a smoother profile over all would be much better as opposed to all those ridges.
Price is right.
But your burn time vs lumen seems a bit high.
MC-E's usualy get driven at about 2.8 amps+ to produce 700 lumen+
You are quoting run times of 2 hours off 2 2500mah cells. ( arnt these cells rated at a 20 hour discharge capacity not 2?)
IMHO you would be lucky to get 1.5 hours on full power.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom