Any NAVY S.E.A.L.s on here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with DMP to a point. There probably are a few Navy SEAL's on this board. Are they obtuse about being a Navy SEAL? Probably not. If you ask them if they are, then I would imagine they would say, "Yes, I am" and that would be the end of it.

Being a SEAL is not classified, if it were, they wouldn't wear the SEAL insignia on their uniforms. What they do, on the other hand . . . ?????

There MAY be one or two is of the braggadocio nature, but I have my doubts.

They are highly trained professionals and DAMNED good at what they do.

There may be one or two out there that love to brag about it, but I think BUD/s makes you a very humble person about what you do.... I am sure that it makes you very prideful, but they arent gonna walk around saying "Im the man.. im a SEAL"....

jsbromsley - The way I understand it from people I know who have gone through (and the way the discovery channel shows it), dive phase is now 2nd phase.... Land warfare is 3rd phase.... Just makes it easier im sure because phase 1 and 2 are on Coronado Island, and then the move them out to San Clemente for phase 3 instead of going back and forth....

Stryker:
There may be one or two out there that love to brag about it, but I think BUD/s makes you a very humble person about what you do.... I am sure that it makes you very prideful, but they arent gonna walk around saying "Im the man.. im a SEAL"....

jsbromsley - The way I understand it from people I know who have gone through (and the way the discovery channel shows it), dive phase is now 2nd phase.... Land warfare is 3rd phase.... Just makes it easier im sure because phase 1 and 2 are on Coronado Island, and then the move them out to San Clemente for phase 3 instead of going back and forth....

They switched 2nd phase and 3rd phase several years ago. Originally, the diving phase, was second phase, and 3rd phase was land warfare. I'm not sure why they ever switched them in the first place? The reason I was given for switching them back, was this allows the students more time to heal from Hell Week, because the first few weeks of 2nd phase has the students spending more time in the class room.

jsbromley:
They switched 2nd phase and 3rd phase several years ago. Originally, the diving phase, was second phase, and 3rd phase was land warfare. I'm not sure why they ever switched them in the first place? The reason I was given for switching them back, was this allows the students more time to heal from Hell Week, because the first few weeks of 2nd phase has the students spending more time in the class room.

Hell week is week 4 or 5 now though....

I've encountered two people who claimed to be former SEALS.

The first was a good friend, the local head of the Cub Scouts, a jolly rutund gent who drove a truck for Hostess. His son was in my Boy Scout troop, so I went swimming with him many times, and for someone with a little extra weight, you sure couldn't keep up with him in the water. He didn't brag, I just happened to find out he was a former SEAL.

The other was a short drunk and dirty homeless guy in the local laudramat that got irrate when I asked him to honor the no-smoking signs. I hate it when my freshly-washed laundry stinks as soon as I get it out of the dryer.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting contrast, in light of the previous posts.

:eek:fftopic:

Not to hijack the thread, hence the "Off Topic" smiley, wannabees come in all sorts. There was a fellow who belonged to a veterans group, of which I am a member, who laid claim to being a combat medic and some other claims. He was found out.

Claiming to be a combat medic is LOW.

In my opinion anyone who claims they are something they are not when it comes to military combat, support, logistics or whatever is low.... it takes alot just to attempt some of these programs, and most people will have the courage to tell you they failed/dropped from a special program because its a big deal just to try.... I respect those people just as much as those who actually made it....

Know a SEAL poser, these guys claim they will check it out, although I wonder if I asked if JOE GI was a SEAL and signed the letter Ichbad Al Yamani if they would let me know.

http://www.authentiseal.org/

Stryker:
Well you are definitely right in that PADI Instructor and combat diver are nothing alike... The Navy did this as a SEPERATE certification for the seals that has nothing to do with their mission... it just allows them to come away with a professional certification that is useful when they get out of the military..

Now something that I just thought about... it MAY only be the SEAL dive motivators/instructors that are offered this... I dont think EVERY SEAL gets this oppertunity... I will ask the instructor at the scuba.com store next time I go.... I wish I could give more information, but seeing that im not a SEAL, ya know.. haha

I called my friend last night. Only students receive a certification, and they get a NAUI AOW, when they complete 2nd phase. Of course there is a $15.00 dollar administration fee.

Back
Top Bottom