Question Diving in Madeira, Portugal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dgordondp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all!

I'm on a trip in Madeira, Portugal, and I'm wondering if there are places to rent backmount doubles for rec diving out there for a buddy and me? (I heard about the rule that requires a second boat for tech diving, so I wouldn't be doing any there.)

I contacted a few shops, but they said that they don't rent equipment without a guide from their shop going with to supervise, and it looks like they all just had single tanks. I have all other gear, just need tanks / weights.

Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Backmount doubles are not that common... so, i won't be surprised if you do not find any.
Have you tried Manta Diving in Canico? At least they have some nice dive spots...

Backmount doubles are not that common... so, i won't be surprised if you do not find any.
Have you tried Manta Diving in Canico? At least they have some nice dive spots...
Thanks for the recommendation!

If they don't have doubles, would they be willing to rent out gear and let my buddy and I do some shore dives without a guide, or do all dive shops in Madeira require guided dives if you're using their gear?

I remember always having a guide for the excursion by boat, regardless of the gear you rent.
You may be allowed to dive the "house spots" alone after having had a check dive. They are no dive spots where you can drive to on your own like e.g. Bonaire.

You have to go with a divecenter that is specialized for photographers. Then you get normal divetimes. I have contacted several and only 45 minute dives where possible. Too short for what you pay (I don't pay for dives if the divetime is limited to less than 1 hour, if I run out of gas it is ok, but not on forehand, such divecenters are only there for money).

But you can try Focus Natura | Diving Center on Madeira Island That is owned by a photographer and then you dive as long as is possible. There is probably a guide in the water, but you can dive your own plan. If others from the group have drained their tanks, you can stay till you have drained your tank. Only single tank here, but at least not that 'take me by hand' diving which has nothing to do with fundiving.
As you can see here, a diveguide is optional: Diving Trips on Madeira Island | Focus Natura
I believe they are also not difficult with solodivers as all photographers are solodivers.

Diving without guide must be possible on Madeira as the European Championships underwater photography were held there in 2022, and then for sure there is no guide in the water. Then you only had to dive with a buddy/assistent. So it would be strange if you cannot find divecentes where you can dive on your own. So you can always tell them that without guide was possible in 2022 with the championships, so they cannot tell you ******** that a guide is required by law. That is not the truth. (But a lot of divecenters all over the world lie about this. Also in Indonesia for example and nobody is following the law in the traffic, haha. Remember also that locals also dive without a guide and your cert is for diving without a guide).

Perfect, that's exactly what my buddy and I are looking for! I'm glad to hear that dive guides aren't as mandatory as some local Madeira shops have led me to think. Thank you!

I am thinking about a holiday in Madeira for me and my family. I have my PADI open water certification. I won't have my own gear except for boots and mask.

What would be the best location for someone like me who is family first and then PADI after? It will just be me diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom