Any non diving vacations this summer??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Barbie once bubbled...

Yes, Algave is the southern coast of Portugal. It is where many Europeans go for summer vacation. I choose a little fishing village named Sagres, so to stay away from the crowds.

If time and money is no object, I would dive one of Portugals islands; either Maderia or the Azores.

I found most information by searching the web for "scuba Portugal" and also searching this site on Portugal.

HAVE FUN and please post a trip report when you return!!

Debra

I find it funny that even though Lisbon and Algarve are abot 800 miles to the east of the Azores Islands it is almost half of the cost to go further go figure.:confused: The price of a trip to the mainland with hotel is the price of air just to the Islands

woe is me - I have to go back to the UK on home leave Saturday for two weeks! No diving just visiting relations and friends - plus getting my regs serviced and picking up my BP which I stupidly left behind

Jonathan

3 Actually.
I went to Arkansas too visit my husband's family.
We also went to Pittsburg to drive up and see Falling Water. This is a home Frank Lloyd Wright built. We are bit fans of his, and have seen quite a few of his homes.
And I just came back from a romantic weekend in Ohio where my husband needs to be working for awhile.
Bonaire is next, but that doesn't count since we will be diving!

we like to sail, so we've taken a few short weekend cruises that didn't involve dive gear. Our last trip was a few weeks ago, and I do recall looking at the "greenwater" and about 10' vis and telling my wife " Gosh. I shoulda brought my gear" (She gave me the "evil eye", so I dropped the subject.).

We also have a small tent camper, which we take on trips of from one day to three weeks.

Excepting our trips to Florida, I don't bring my scuba gear when camping. We spend up to a week each Thanksgiving in the Hill Country, camping, hiking and biking, sometimes we head into New Mexico for more of the same and we occasionally take side trips to exotic (ha!) places like Arkansas and Mississippi. The rest of the time, we stay close by....

Next summer (If I qualify in a ride next month), I'll be riding a bicycle to Edmonton, Alberta from Houston as part of a fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (my 7yr old is an AML/Bone marrow transplant survivor). As the ride is normally comprised of police officers (HPD Bike Relay Team), I am having to lobby for permission to participate as a "daddy" of a patient. Right now, everyone involved has quickly said yes, but I'm waiting on an answer from the "brass" and an evalution of my skills on an upcoming 100K. I've done this 100K ride several times, so I sure hope they say Yes!)

Whether I ride, or not, my family will meet up with the team at the end of this 12 day 4400+ mile journey (+/-20 officers riding "relay style", 24hrs. a day. Most riders try to make from 60 to 100 miles each session, each day, sometimes in groups, sometimes alone.). If all goes well, we'll spend a week or two touring the Edmonton area after the arrival ceremonies. I won't likely bring my gear, since my fat butt is enough weight to pedal there, but I hope to do some rafting, some mountain biking and some hiking.

My kids have never seen snow, so I hope to take them into the mountains, if only to point at a snowcapped peak. I've been told that the RCMP will usually take us all on a tour and, having met some of them already, I know this should be a hoot.

Btw, two summers ago we spent 2 weeks in New York at the end of the same ride, but as honored guests, not riders (My son has been an honored patient for six years). We had a wonderful time. My little one got to ride in a NYC police car from Times Square to Trump Tower, where he appeared on the CBS morning news. From there, we took a whirlwind tour of the city, which my kids had never visited. They fell in love with the place.

We toured Manhattan with a group of very nice local cops and with NYC police officers. They took us on a "back door tour" of the Statue of Liberty, which included a walk to the top (although it was closed to the public). We also took the kids to the World Trade Center and had an extensive tour there.

Of course, six weeks later, the whole world changed.

That was one special trip...one that we'll never forget....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom